Extra baggage with Singapore Airlines flying from Amsterdam

nickpma

Since I read on the forum that a lot of people can get extra luggage if they have a unvalidated permanent visa for Australia, I was hoping to also get this.

So I both mailed and called the Singapore Airlines office in Amsterdam.

Unfortunately I got the same employee both by phone and email. They denied my request and were pretty rude.

Then I called the UK office. They said that they do give 10KG extra, but since I fly from Amsterdam I have to call the Amsterdam office.

Now Singapore Airlines calculates 60 dollar per KG, so I don't want to take this risk.

Is there anyone who did get extra kilo's when flying from Amsterdam to Australia with Singapore Airlines?

Guest The Pom Queen

I'm wondering if you could email the UK office and get it in writing and then turn up with that. Maybe take a friend to the airport with you just in case it doesn't work.

Since I read on the forum that a lot of people can get extra luggage if they have a unvalidated permanent visa for Australia, I was hoping to also get this.

So I both mailed and called the Singapore Airlines office in Amsterdam.

Unfortunately I got the same employee both by phone and email. They denied my request and were pretty rude.

Then I called the UK office. They said that they do give 10KG extra, but since I fly from Amsterdam I have to call the Amsterdam office.

Now Singapore Airlines calculates 60 dollar per KG, so I don't want to take this risk.

Is there anyone who did get extra kilo's when flying from Amsterdam to Australia with Singapore Airlines?

I just mailed my complaint to Singapore Airlines saying that I contacted the UK office and the Netherlands office and that they say different things. But I think that complaint is sent to the Netherlands office.

If that doesn't help I'll send some emails to both the UK office and the head office in Singapore.

Would be a lot easier if someone on this forum has an email stating the are allowed to carry extra baggage flying from Amsterdam.

And if not from Amsterdam, perhaps from Germany, Belgium or otherwise the UK.

Still think it's strange that someone from country X gets the allowance and someone from country Y doesn't.

We moved from Singapore to WA. I went in to the Singapore Airlines office on Orchard Road and enquired about the extra baggage allowance for a PR Visa holder, they (4 different staff members) had absolutely no idea of any additional allowance due! But, as a good will gesture they gave us an extra 10kg each.

I found out later that we should have used these guys before booking our flights as it would have made it a lot easier...

http://www.iomaustralia.org/programme_fm.htm

I just mailed my complaint to Singapore Airlines

I think what you have to realise is that the additional baggage allowance by Singapore Airlines is purely a GOODWILL gesture on their part. If people want to treat it like an entitlement and there are too many difficult queries about it it might just go away altogether.

They let you buy the cheapest fare of the day and give you a business class baggage allowance free of charge...at the next counter someone else who has maybe paid for a more expensive economy fare is getting hit up $60/kg for excess baggage charges. Hence the reason you won't find any information about this on their website.

It could be that this is purely a policy of SIA UK...in which case it wouldn't be available ex AMS...hence, if you want to take more than the standard allowance you pay for it like you would all your other moving expenses.

• 3 weeks later...
We moved from Singapore to WA. I went in to the Singapore Airlines office on Orchard Road and enquired about the extra baggage allowance for a PR Visa holder, they (4 different staff members) had absolutely no idea of any additional allowance due! But, as a good will gesture they gave us an extra 10kg each.

I found out later that we should have used these guys before booking our flights as it would have made it a lot easier...

http://www.iomaustralia.org/programme_fm.htm

Thank you!

Archived