Whats my best emigration route ?

Head78

Hi Everyone

I have a brother living in Australia ( Brisbane ) and he has been their for 3.5 years. He will become a citizen next Australia Day ! I am eager to take my family out their. I will have a HND in Civil Engineering in June 2015, But Vetasses want a years post experience ( which is rubbish because i have almost 20 years experience in Construction ). I have an NVQ level 6 in Site Management and will be getting the NVQ level 7 in Senior Construction Management. I will then go for the MCIOB. I am reluctant to go out on a 457 due to the instability of it.

So my Question is .... Whats my best route Guys?

Hi Everyone

I have a brother living in Australia ( Brisbane ) and he has been their for 3.5 years. He will become a citizen next Australia Day ! I am eager to take my family out their. I will have a HND in Civil Engineering in June 2015, But Vetasses want a years post experience ( which is rubbish because i have almost 20 years experience in Construction ). I have an NVQ level 6 in Site Management and will be getting the NVQ level 7 in Senior Construction Management. I will then go for the MCIOB. I am reluctant to go out on a 457 due to the instability of it.

So my Question is .... Whats my best route Guys?

Hi,

To avoid the 457 you would be looking at either the 189 or the 190 skilled visa. This depends on what job code you are applying under and which list your job is on. To help advise the best route to take please tell us which what job you intend to apply under (ANZSCO code) and which list the job you intend to apply under is listed on (either the SOL or CSOL) thanks :)

Hi

I will probably be applying for one of the following... under the SOL list.Construction Project Manager code 133111,

Project Builder code 133112 Civil Eng Tech code 312212 or under the CSOL the Building Associate code 312112. All of these require a skills assessment from Vetasses who subsequently require a years post qualification experience before applying. All of my Qualifications will be gained by the summer....

Thanks for your help

Hi

I will probably be applying for one of the following... under the SOL list.Construction Project Manager code 133111,

Project Builder code 133112 Civil Eng Tech code 312212 or under the CSOL the Building Associate code 312112. All of these require a skills assessment from Vetasses who subsequently require a years post qualification experience before applying. All of my Qualifications will be gained by the summer....

Thanks for your help

Thank you for that we can provide more insight for you now. Now there are few things to consider when deciding which route is best. First is the role. The Construction Project Manager code 133111 and Project Builder code 133112 are both skill level 1 and require a bachelor degree or higher so you would be unable to go for these with your qualifications. You are eligible for Civil Eng Tech code 312212 and you would be able to apply for the 189 or 190 skilled visa with that role. You are also eligible to apply under or under Building Associate code 312112 but you could only get the 190 visa as it is on the CSOL. I would say if you are under 50 and can make the required 60 points then go for either the 189 and 190 over the 457 due to the competitiveness of your roles and the scare stories of the 457 I have heard.

Now for vetassess. Which ever job you chose from the 2 you need a year post qualification experience. Only category D jobs can have experience at any point in time. Now this is where which route is best come in.

Firstly when did you do the nvq level 6 in site management and have you looked at the duties list for the jobs and see if they closely match the units you studied and did you work after getting it? I am asking this as it is the required level as both job require an ozzy diploma which is UK nvq 5 so if the units studied are similar to the ANZSCO job roles for either job and you worked after it you could apply for the skills assessment with that qualification and just not mention the new qualifications.

If the qualification is not relevant and can not be used for skills assessments then you would either need to qualify and work a year (the vetassess one year is non negotiable in your group) or go for the 457.

Depending on your age I would say work for an extra year and get the 189/190.

So see if your level 6 you already have has similar units to the ANZSCO roles and how much experience you have after doing it and if it matches I would say apply now with that. Once you know that you know where to go from there. Either work a year post qual or get the 457.

The other thing to consider is the 60 points required for the 189 and 190. You get things for age, qualification etc. You need to know if you can get the required 60 points before you know if you get either of them or the 457 only.

Have a look on the immi website at what points you get for each category. You will get zero points for work experience as the visa only counts post qual experience and you get no points for less than 3 years and you would get 10 points for your diploma (either now or waiting as you can only use 1 qualification for points doesn't matter which one) so you need to make up 50 points on age and English language exam. To claim points for English language you need to sit the exam even if you are English as silly as it is. So the remaining 50 points depend on English exam results and your age.

If you can not obtain 60 points but can achieve 50 you can get the 489 visa as you can get 10 points for sponsorship from your family in oz making the 60 points but you need to live in regional Australia for a period of time. If you can not get the 50 or 60 points or are over 50 (but under 55) then it would be 457 only as it isn't points calculated. I hope this info helps :)

Thank you very much for all of this information. I am thinking that i will probably wait a year to gain a years post qual experience and apply for the 180 or 190.

Thank you again for your help.

I will let you know how it goes. :)

Thank you very much for all of this information. I am thinking that i will probably wait a year to gain a years post qual experience and apply for the 180 or 190.

Thank you again for your help.

I will let you know how it goes. :)

No worries :)

That is what I would do to.

Yeah do keep us posted and good luck :)

• 4 months later...

Hey OzzyDreamer

Ive been looking into this more, and have been struggling to get the 60 points.... It seems that although i have a Qualification on the SOL list its still difficult to gain the 60 points required.

We have recently returned from a trip out to Aus to visit my Brother, we visited the Sunshine Coast all the way down to Byron bay and have come back even more determined.

So were looking at the 190 and the 489, we know we want to live in Queensland so gaining extra points through State Sponsorship wouldn't be a problem. We would even live in a designated area as we visited Jimboomba and it was great, nice and quite and not far from Brisbane and the Gold Coast.

SO.... as i have been adding up the points i will need to gain 20 points for the English Language Test !! I would then gain 65 points, Pearsons seems to be everyones preferred testing...

Can you or anyone else shed some light on this and how easy / difficult it is to get the 20 points Superior English.

Cheers

Hey OzzyDreamer

Ive been looking into this more, and have been struggling to get the 60 points.... It seems that although i have a Qualification on the SOL list its still difficult to gain the 60 points required.

We have recently returned from a trip out to Aus to visit my Brother, we visited the Sunshine Coast all the way down to Byron bay and have come back even more determined.

So were looking at the 190 and the 489, we know we want to live in Queensland so gaining extra points through State Sponsorship wouldn't be a problem. We would even live in a designated area as we visited Jimboomba and it was great, nice and quite and not far from Brisbane and the Gold Coast.

SO.... as i have been adding up the points i will need to gain 20 points for the English Language Test !! I would then gain 65 points, Pearsons seems to be everyones preferred testing...

Can you or anyone else shed some light on this and how easy / difficult it is to get the 20 points Superior English.

Cheers

Ah glad you have further explored. Well getting 20 points in any of the English tests is harder than it sounds but not impossible.

Is the 65 inclusive of state sponsorship points? Are Queensland sponsoring your job role?

Hey

I have checked, and they are sponsoring Construction managers, I have just completed the HND in Civil Engineering and not long gained the Level 6 NVQ in Site management. I complete the degree in Construction management this time next year.... So I can apply with the HND in Civils which transfers over to project builder or building associate and that would be this time next year to get the years post qualification done.... which by the way is crazy.

So I could wait another 2 years and apply with the Bsc Construction Project Management... including the years post Qual...

Yes the 65 would include the 10 points from State regional Sponsorship... I need to sort myself out because im 37 this year ! I need the 25 points for being under 40 !

Hey OzzyDreamer

Cheers

Most people do need to do an English test in order to have enough points. If you are literate and can speak, read and write English, then getting the 20 points should really not present any major issues for a native English speaker.

Archived