457 & Health Insurance

Kazlex

Hi

Right this question I'm sure has been posted a few times but can't seem to find a definite answer. My MA has just advised us that we need to get health insurance in order for our visa to be granted. We are in the UK which obviously has a reciprocal with Oz. My question is what kind of insurance do we need would travel insurance suffice or do we need private medical insurance. On the immi website it states that we don't need it as we have a reciprocal agreement however medicare needs to be in place which we can't do from the UK. Its a catch 22 situation. I've also heard that there is a bridging insurance certificate which can be purchased but not sure where we can get this. Thanks!!!!!

Karen

This is discussed in several other threads. You only need it to cover you until you get there, then you can register for Medicare, but depending on your personal needs you might want to take out a policy there that will give you better cover.

IMAN is popular. http://www.austhealth.com/

You can also just get the cheap travel insurance from the post office, if you're living in the UK now. An alternative is to get a travel insurance policy with someone at moneysupermarket.com or similar, so long as it covers health costs.

I got turned down by IMAN unexpectedly and then went with Solid, which cost me £41 for a month. This was accepted for my 457 visa.

Once you have the cover you will email the policy documents to your MA and they can upload them on immi as proof of cover.

Mungbean, thanks for your prompt reply. I actually had a look on austhealth and received a quote. Seemed reasonable enough although quoted in dollars. Did you pay by credit card until you were able to set up a DD? I'll also have a look on supermarket.com the only thing is we'll not know when we're travelling as it'll all depend on when visa is granted, house sold etc. Also my husband will most likely travel out himself at first so that has been swaying us towards the medical insurance and I'll book travel insurance once flights are booked. Thanks again

I paid by card for the cover from Solid. Very quick and easy, and policy docs were sent immediately.

Timing is of course unpredictable... I had originally paid for 4 weeks cover on 8th Jan just after I'd done my medical and all other docs had gone in.

My visa was granted on 2nd Feb, but since I won't be flying out until next week I will have to pay again for more cover.

No problem, I'll just buy another 4 weeks cover to give me time to get sorted when I get there.

Archived