Subclass 190 questions.. can anyone help answer?

Robert Brunning

After a lot of research I believe I quality for a subclass 190 based on my occupation of Student Counselor. However, this would restrict where I could live an work to ACT for two years, and would be required to work full time for one year in this area before applying for residency.

However, I have a number of questions regarding 190 visa that I have not found answers too.

* Would I be able to apply for a 190 visa while in Australia on a holiday visa visiting family?

* If I was successful in being granted a 190 would I be restricted in applying for the specific job of (student counselor) as per my skill?

* In my current job I am also a student recruiter which means I travel overseas for about 12 weeks of the year. If I was to take a similar role for an Australian University would this damage my chances of residency as I would be outside of the country (yet still working for the employer and living in the territory normally).

* After two years, and having worked for a minimum of 12 months I could then apply for permanent residency with a subclass 887. Would this mean I would be free to live and work in any area of Australia?

I think you're a bit confused with visas.

The 190 visa is permanent from the time it's issued.

You seem to be referring above to the 489 visa (which leads to PR via the 887) after living and working in a regional area for up to two years.

Which visa do you think you qualify for? The 190 or the 489?

After a lot of research I believe I quality for a subclass 190 based on my occupation of Student Counselor. However, this would restrict where I could live an work to ACT for two years, and would be required to work full time for one year in this area before applying for residency.

However, I have a number of questions regarding 190 visa that I have not found answers too.

* Would I be able to apply for a 190 visa while in Australia on a holiday visa visiting family?

* If I was successful in being granted a 190 would I be restricted in applying for the specific job of (student counselor) as per my skill?

* In my current job I am also a student recruiter which means I travel overseas for about 12 weeks of the year. If I was to take a similar role for an Australian University would this damage my chances of residency as I would be outside of the country (yet still working for the employer and living in the territory normally).

* After two years, and having worked for a minimum of 12 months I could then apply for permanent residency with a subclass 887. Would this mean I would be free to live and work in any area of Australia?

On a 190 visa, you are expected to live and work in the sponsoring state/territory for 2 years but it's already a permanent visa so there is no requirement to work full time in the region before applying for residency - you already have it.

You cannot apply directly for a 190 visa. You must have a positive skills assessment and at least 55 points on the points test before submitting an Expression of Interest (EOI) in applying for a 190. You must also apply to the ACT for sponsorship and when (if) that is granted, you get 5 points for the sponsorship which makes your points score up to the required 60 (or more). You then receive an invitation to apply for a visa. All of those things (skills assessment, applying for sponsorship, submitting an EOI, receiving an invitation and lodging a visa application) can be done onshore or offshore. It's unlikely that you would be able to do all of those steps during a 3 month Visitor visa, but if you can, you're welcome to do so. It would be a good idea to apply for your skills assessment well before you come to Australia and if you need to do IELTS for points, you could also get that under way before you come. That would give you a good chance of being able to manage the rest of the process during your holiday. If you can lodge a visa application in Australia before your Visitor visa expires, you will receive a Bridging visa that will enably you to stay in Australia until a decision is reached on your visa application.

If you have a 190, you can come and go to and from Australia as you wish for 5 years from the visa grant date. As stated before, you would already have residency.

After your first 2 years, you can live and work anywhere in Australia.

Sorry - Yes I think i am a little confused with the difference of a 190 and 489. I thought actually I could apply for either visa.

My occupation appears on the CSOL list as student counsellor ANZSCO code 272115.

How would I find out which visa I could apply for and which states I would be able to work in?

Kind regards,

Robert

You can use the ANZSCOSEARCH facility to find out which states are willing to sponsor your occupation. If you sign up to the service, you can click on the List icons for states with green ticks and that will take you to the state site where you can find out if you meet the eligibility requirements imposed by the state in question. Otherwise, you can go to the migration site for each state.

https://www.anzscosearch.com/ ANZSCOSEARCH

http://www.australia.gov.au/topics/immigration/state-migration-sites Links to state sites except SA

http://www.migration.sa.gov.au/ South Australia

Thank you for the helpful links.

Looking at the anzsecosearch I have found a green tick under the subclass 190 in Canberra which is where I would like to work.

https://www.anzscosearch.com/272115.php

So this means that 190 sponsorship would be available in this region? I am hoping to live in Camberra as my sister who has just become a permanent resident lives in Sydney which is not too far away.

So my next step would be to have my skills formally assessed through vetassess?

Make sure you check the ACT's specific requirements. Do they require a job offer? That you live in the ACT now? Have family there? or...?

If you meet their requirements, a skills assessment is certainly a step that must be completed before you go any further. You may also need to do IELTS or another English test if you're short of points.

My occupation is showing as Open on the ACT occupation list for October 2014 (Review due in February).

On the ACT website they state:

Open Occupations: you can apply for ACT nomination if you meet the nomination criteria.

However, they seem to specify what the nomination criteria are. They do mention I would compete in the labour market as part of a normal selection process for work (So I don't think I would require a job).

http://www.canberrayourfuture.com.au/workspace/uploads/documents/act-occupation-list-oct-14.pdf

Archived