Statutory Declaration by UK Citizen

Zac Holt

Hi All,

I'm planning on emigrating to Aus in the next year and want to be proactive and collect a reference from my old employer now.

The problem is that I don't think that they will provide me with a duty reference.

I have done abit of research and I cam across statutory declarations.

An ex colleague, who worked with me whilst i was there, has told me that he will do a statutory declaration for me.

My questions are

1) He finished a few months after me and is obviously not at the company anymore - will this matter?

2) I have seen on another forum that DIBP do not accept stutory declarations from UK citizens - is this true?

3) How should the statutory declaration be layed out, is there special paper?

Thanks Zac

I know for Australian partner visas only Australian Citizens or PR holders can complete statutory declarations. Maybe this is where you have read that they can't be completed by UK citizens?

But the UK has their own "Statutory Declaration" or/and " Affidavits" law. These are generally witnessed by a solicitor, notary of the public, justice of the peace etc.

I have no idea about skilled visas - just commenting on the declaration!

Thanks for the reply :)

I posted on a different forum with my circumstances (applying for Skilled 190, can't get reference of work, ex colleague willing do statutory declaration) and this is where somebody said that DIBP don't accept statutory declarations due to some law?!

I know for Australian partner visas only Australian Citizens or PR holders can complete statutory declarations. Maybe this is where you have read that they can't be completed by UK citizens?

But the UK has their own "Statutory Declaration" or/and " Affidavits" law. These are generally witnessed by a solicitor, notary of the public, justice of the peace etc.

I have no idea about skilled visas - just commenting on the declaration!

Immigration will accept stat decs from the Uk if you dont know any Aussie citizens/PR, however in law they are not strictly reconized in Australia. As long as they have been witnessed by a person in authority they will suffice.

Immigration will accept stat decs from the Uk if you dont know any Aussie citizens/PR, however in law they are not strictly reconized in Australia. As long as they have been witnessed by a person in authority they will suffice.

Yes I know :)

It's not considered a stat dec by IMMI when it's completed by someone who is not an Aussie/PR. It's just considered a witnessed statement. But given I don't know anything about skilled visas I don't know what the process is for getting references.

I know a few people who have PR in Aus from the UK,

I actually face a notary's office in my place of work, If i had my ex-colleague write a stat dec, does it have to be on special paper (I keep seeing references to stamp paper) and does it matter that he is no longer there ?

Thats right, but for providing evidence of relationship they will still take them as not everyone in the UK knows Aussie citizens.

Yes - they will accept statements written as a stat dec - but they won't be considered stat declarations!

But given the OP isn't applying for a partner visa I don't see the relevance in going into detail about this? It 's just confusing the situation.

Zac - I would think you need a reference from your employer and not just a colleague.

Archived