New members, Hello all

stuartkelly2014

We are new to the site and have been looking at emigrating to Australia for a while. we have never been before and planning a visit in march 2016 just to get a feel for the place look around but initially looking at Adelaide or Perth.

I'm a time served joiner with 15 years exp and recently graduate with honours as a Building surveyor and my wife is the manager of a Children s day nursery.we are not sure of the work situation In Oz and thus don't know which city would be best.

We have 3 young boys and get told conflicting advice with people we talk to for example not to transport furniture and buy second hand when we arrive but then again to transport it as the costs aren't really that expensive.

Were about to start filling in out permanent residency visa applications also and a little unsure weather you pay the full balance on submission, part payment or even pay on acceptance. ideally we would be looking to move as soon as the application is passed and know that it could take up to 2 years.

I have seen people mention about employers paying for flights etc, Do people apply for positions before they travel and if so are their employer events in the UK where you can attend in order to try and get a job before you travel as this would also be great.

We have also been informed of Australian citizens who rent out properties in order to get you started so that you can get on find work and move on from there. A good friend has pointed us to this site and it does look pretty good with a huge amount of people in similar circumstances who can give us advice in order to lead us in the right direction.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

When you read of employers paying for flights, its normally part of a relocation package when you are moving on a sponsored visa. If you have PR you will be lucky to get an employer to pay for anything for you.

To see where work in your trades seems to be available have a look at sites like Seek.com or Career one. com, you could also e-mail or ring companys direct but it is hard to get a response, especially when you havent got the visa in your hand.

Hope this helps a bit

Cal x

I think applying and waiting for the visa grant ,paired with actually making the move is the most stressful thing ive ever done. The first 12 mths here are a bit chaotic and up and up and down too as you feel a bit alien and you are learning so much and getting used to the 'Aussie way'. To us it was worth it though and we have no real regrets,i look back and its been an enjoyable learning curve,, so i do feel for you but hang on in there and keep smiling when you want to cry,lol.

Cal x

Been hanging around for ages waiting to make our big move, HELLO Cal,

finally the house sold and we move over 1/4/15. It's been a very long haul for us and the nerves and stress levels are rising with each passing day; that said I am trying to stay positive and motivated, as is my usual default cheery nature.

Just trying to work out what I can reasonably do from this end before we arrive.

Accommodation is booked, I am starting to contact employers for hubby and me and have started compiling a list of things I need to do when we get there!

Nice to to check in with you again Cal,

take care,

Lorraine x

Been hanging around for ages waiting to make our big move, HELLO Cal,

finally the house sold and we move over 1/4/15. It's been a very long haul for us and the nerves and stress levels are rising with each passing day; that said I am trying to stay positive and motivated, as is my usual default cheery nature.

Just trying to work out what I can reasonably do from this end before we arrive.

Accommodation is booked, I am starting to contact employers for hubby and me and have started compiling a list of things I need to do when we get there!

Nice to to check in with you again Cal,

take care,

Lorraine x

Long time no speak... Im happy to hear everything is going ahead and fab news about the house sale, its been a long time coming ,heh,lol..

Lots and lots of luck with everything and enjoy the time you have left.

Cal x

Archived