Importing car - does it need to go on the road straight away?

Jlew

Possibly a bit of an unusual question. We're heading to melbourne in September and will be taking our classic car with us. The question is, do I need to put it through all the road worthy elements eye straight away, or can I just import it, but the customs elements and then deal with registration etc at some later date? Intention would be to trailer it from the docks to our new house.

I am no expert but I can't see any reason why you would have to register it within any timeframe. There were some issues with documents on my import and it did not get registered for about 3 months after it arrived....so I think you are all good....

Ironlady imports is the expert here though, worth giving them a shout (google them if you can't find them here).

Possibly a bit of an unusual question. We're heading to melbourne in September and will be taking our classic car with us. The question is, do I need to put it through all the road worthy elements eye straight away, or can I just import it, but the customs elements and then deal with registration etc at some later date? Intention would be to trailer it from the docks to our new house.

Hi Jlew,

I'm a VASS engineer in Melbourne (one of the guys that signs off your Pre-89 classic for registration on Victorian roads). I imported a couple of classic cars from the UK 6 years ago and one of them is still waiting for me to rebuild it and then register it.

There is no limit to the time it takes you to get it registered.

There are 2 ways to register a classic car in Victoria, by the way. The first is full registration, where a VASS engineer checks the car meets the Australian Design Rules for the year it was built and writes a report for Vicroads to tell them it complies and then you get a Road Worthy Certificate and finally full registration.

The second way is with Vicroads club or classic car registration where you can drive the car for either 45 or 90 days in the year by filling out a log book. You also need to join a classic car club and have the club secretary sign that you are a member. This way your yearly registration cost is about $90 as opposed to $600. Also your insurance is much less as you are telling the insurance company that you are not a big risk as you are only on the road your much less time in the year.

Regards, Blake A.

Archived