Medicare for a child on 600 tourist visa

rainforest

My husband and I (both have PR) decided not to wait for a child visa (101) for our daughter and got her a tourist visa (600) for one year. Is she eligible for Medicare? It says on the Medicare form that a child of parents who have PR and who have applied for a PR himself is eligible. Is it true or should we get a private health insurance for her? Thank you!

If the Child visa has already been applied for, your child is eligible for full Medicare cover. If the application hasn't already been lodged, they would only be covered if they are a citizen of the UK or another country with reciprocal healthcare arrangements.

Have you applied for the child 101 pr are you applying onshore for child 802.

I was always under the impression to be eligible for full Medicare the application for PR needed to be onshore, not offshore. As if have applied offshore they will be under the conditions of the tourist visa.

If have UK passport reciprocal health care will be available until PR is granted.

Medicare eligibility for people who have applied for a permanent visa appears not to depend on whether the application was made offshore or onshore.

People who have applied for a permanent resident visa (except for a parent visa) may be eligible for the Medicare and Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme programs if they have a visa authorising their stay in Australia and:

• have permission to work,

or

• their parent, spouse or child is an Australian citizen or holds an Australian permanent resident visa

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/spw/customer/forms/resources/3101-1306en.pdf Medicare enrolment form

Archived