Medicare for a child on 600 tourist visa

rainforest

My husband and I (both have PR) decided not to wait for a child visa (101) for our daughter and got her a tourist visa (600) for one year. Is she eligible for Medicare? It says on the Medicare form that a child of parents who have PR and who have applied for a PR himself is eligible. Is it true or should we get a private health insurance for her? Thank you!

My husband and I (both have PR) decided not to wait for a child visa (101) for our daughter and got her a tourist visa (600) for one year. Is she eligible for Medicare? It says on the Medicare form that a child of parents who have PR and who have applied for a PR himself is eligible. Is it true or should we get a private health insurance for her? Thank you!

Hi Rainforest,

Merry Christmas.

All medicare offices will reopen on Monday, Its always better to visit them. They will explain you better.

Cheers

Shiffu.

Hi Shiffu.

Merry Christmas to you (I'm Russian, for us it's on 07.01.)

We are still in the UK and Medicare support only sent us a standard answer how to apply. I think if our baby needs an insurance then we should get it before going to Australia.

Hello Rainforest,

I think the best idea will be to get an private insurance just for a month or two. Once your baby get the visa, you will receive medicare in two weeks. You can find insurance online. This may help you. http://www.bupa.com.au/health-insurance/overseas-visitors-working-visa/ci.short-stay-visitors-cover.ovc?excess=EXCESS_250

Thanks

Shiffu

• 2 weeks later...

Hi rainforest, is your daughter's passport a country from the list of Reciprocal Health Care Agreement countries?

If not, I couldn't see on the form where it says children of PR holders are granted Medicare. I believe once your daughter has applied for PR then she can submit the enrolment form.

Cheers,

Jackie

Archived