Job Market for Solicitors

lem20

Hi,

I was wondering what the job market was like for solicitors at the moment? Especially relating to criminal and family. After a quick browse of a few job sites I see there are quite a few jobs going, but wondering if anyone has first hand experience?

Is it significantly difficult for overseas qualified solicitors to gain employment?

I am looking to move over once I have completed my traineeship here in Scotland, so will be fully qualified.

Thanks

Hi,

I was wondering what the job market was like for solicitors at the moment? Especially relating to criminal and family. After a quick browse of a few job sites I see there are quite a few jobs going, but wondering if anyone has first hand experience?

Is it significantly difficult for overseas qualified solicitors to gain employment?

I am looking to move over once I have completed my traineeship here in Scotland, so will be fully qualified.

Thanks

100% do not come over newly qualified. Stay home and get a few years post qualification experience before you come over. Like the UK there are just way too many new graduates looking for work.

Also note that you have to get your degree assessed and will have to complete several units before you can become qualified in whichever state you are looking at living in (as each state is different). When my partner did this he was in Victoria last year and paid several thousand dollars per unit (ended up costing over $15,00 in international student fees).

Archived