Mobile Phone Provider

richselina

Hi,

We will be moving to Melbourne in a few months and would like to know whether we can sign up straight away for a mobile phone contract or if we have to go on pay as you talk until we have a residential address etc?

If it's PAYG, who is the best provider to ensure a good 3G coverage?

Thanks, Rich

Hi,

We will be moving to Melbourne in a few months and would like to know whether we can sign up straight away for a mobile phone contract or if we have to go on pay as you talk until we have a residential address etc?

If it's PAYG, who is the best provider to ensure a good 3G coverage?

Thanks, Rich

Hey RichSelina,

Not sure about whether you'll get a contract or not, but to know the best options for plans and carriers, look at one of the phone comparison sites like ozcompare.com.au or whistleout.com.au .... You'll find heaps of options there with recommendations on the right plans and handsets.

Hope this helps.

You wont get a contract straight off the plane. I went for a cheap prepay phone with Optus, as it was the first i saw, i went for the $2 a day (unlimited Aus calls/texts and 500mb of data). I think you only have to pay $2 when you actually use teh phone to call/text/internet, if you are just receiving it doesn't cost anything. Although not tested that yet as I keep using it :)

will keep the phone as a backup when I get a contract.

We got a contract within a few weeks with optus, we just had to provide passports and copies of visas, but having an address does help.

We're with virgin now, but optus payg are pretty good, its all about how much data you get here, not calls or minutes, so the higher the mb/gb the better. Stay away from vodafone, they're shite in my opinion (and experience!)

Archived