Where to live in Adelaide

wandarri

We are looking to move to Adelaide very shortly - we are 2 adults and 2 kids 2 and 4.

Hubby has job in city center but will not need to travel in every day as a lot of it is working from home. He will need to go in perhaps once or twice a week.

We will eventually buy a fab family home of budget up to $1m but in the meantime are thinking of around $400k for a 3/4 bed house slightly further out which we can then change to an investment property when we buy the family home.

Areas we have looked at are Torrens Park/Mitcham or over towards Walkerville area - the first being better transport links with railway lines but the later closer to city and more "gentrafied?" perhaps.

Priorities to come will be very very good schools for kids when they need it in around 1.5 years but meanwhile a good childcare facility as we both work

we would like to be walking distance from some shops, cafes and pubs

Lately we have looked at Manningham which seems to be very up and coming but very cheap at present.

Do not want to be near beach or in the hills.

Any thoughts very much appreciated. Postive or negative.

thx

Post over on Poms in Adelaide - you will get far more response there. Personally if I had your budget of $1m I would be looking at Norwood, Burnside, Unley, Kensington Park, North Adelaide and surrounding areas. Not sure where I would go with $400k, but probably north east (think Newton up to Fairview Park type areas).

For the best state high schools you need to be in the zone for Adelaide High, Glenunga or Marryatville. For the really good state schools you need to be in the zone for Unley High, Brighton, Henley High or Norwood Morialta. Have a look at the myschool.edu.au for the zones for these schools. For the best private schools budget around $20k a year plus extra costs. I wouldn't worry about being near a train line - there are plenty of buses in other areas and if you head North East there is the o-bahn, which is a bus that runs on tracks.

I'd second everything NicF has said above. To start off with you could also look around Mawson Lakes - good long term investment as near one of the Uni Campusses, and a nice 'village' centre. In terms of schools though around there you might prefer private if you start off there - private schools are very reasonable though and if you have a long term house budget of $1 million, it probably won't break the bank!

Archived