Moving to south west melboune in 2015

r0bsk1

Hi all,

I've secured a job in Melbourne CBD with a start date of 2nd March 2015. My employer is sponsoring the 457 visa and is using KPMG for managing the visa process at their expense and have also been allocated a fund for flights, removals etc.

Having never been to Oz at all I've decided on going out first so i can secure somewhere to rent before the wife and 2 kids (9,5) join me. I'll be staying with familiy in the south west of Melbourne.

For now I'm looking at flights in mid-feb and return to pick up the family 2-3 months later. But do i go for economy or premium economy? First and business class are out of the question. Whats the difference between the classes apart from double the price?

We're looking for a 4 bed house with double garage around the hoppers crossing area. I need to be near a train station to get to work although i could always cycle but the storage cages are currently full. I hope there's storage available at work. Cycling to the station then includes areas like Point cook but there only seems to be one road in and out. Is there anyone on here around that area? It would be nice to be within 10Km of the CBD to cycle in everyday.

As for removals we're looking to use a move cube or two. We dont have alot to move and a container would be just transporting air. I probably have more garage tools than actual furniture to move.

It would be good to hear any first hand experiance from anybody that have been or are in a similar boat.

Cheers

Rob

Welcome to the forum. As you already have family I am sure they will be a big help to you. I do not live in the west but its very populated these days and the road to Point Cook is a problem at present from what I have read. Its always the same here, houses by the thousands, infrastructure by the drip.

Join up with the Life in Victoria forum there is a link to it at the foot of this forum. Many of the members are recent arrivals and a lot live over where you are going so they will be able to assist you further.

Good luck

• 3 months later...

Rob

Have a look at Glen Iris its about 7 to 8 km from CBD and is a great cycling network for commuting to the city and weekend trails

You should not have a problem of bike racks and showers at work. Its a very cycle friendly city

Archived