Pipefitter w/ Plumber SVQ level III Looking for help on AQF, Skills assessment in UK and Visa T

neilwilliams1987

Hi guys,

I am a Pipefitter from Scotland who has a SVQ Level 3 in Plumbing and I am looking to find out information regarding coming to WA and what type of visa should i go for? Ive been told a sponsorship visa would be best? But i worked in Canada on a sponsorship visa which runs out in June 2015 which tied me to a terrible company which resulted in me coming home, so im a bit weary of this happening again.

Also I've been told i can sit a skills assessment in Glasgow at the Kelvin College, but does this get my AQF or Plumbing White card how does this work?.I have emailed the college but they seem to be clueless on this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated my wife will be travelling with me she is a hairdresser level 3 some people are saying we would be better getting her sponsered? Turning into a bit of a minefield.

PLEASE SOMEBODY GIVE ME CLARIFICATION LOL

MANY THANKS

Neil

Hi Neil,

The best visa for you to come over to WA would be an independent skilled visa. I would avoid coming over on a sponsored visa as it can be a pretty stressful experience because, apart from other things, if you find yourself out of a job then you have 28 days to find another sponsor or else you have to head back to Scotland. With regards to your qualification, I'd presume that you'd have to apply as a plumber. You'd have to complete a Vetassessment (if you're applying for a skilled visa) to prove your working qualifications. Vetassess involves a hell of a lot of paperwork and a 1 day practical skills assessment. Unfortunately your AQF and any other qualification you hold in the UK is worth nothing here in Australia. It can feel like you have to start from scratch but once you're here and you can show and prove that you know what you're all about then all the doors start opening. We all find it frustrating - but it is what it is.

I am a plumber by trade. When I lived and worked in London UK for eight years I worked for a mechanical services company and ended up doing a fair bit of pipefitting as well as plumbing. Here in Perth I've worked mainly in commercial plumbing but at the moment I'm employed as a pipefitter/sprinkler fitter. Apparently, sprinkler fitters are in short supply here in Perth and they are the highest paid tradies at the moment. I've met a few other pipefitters from the UK who all came over as plumbers and eventually got themselves in the pipefitting game

The Australian AQF III can be done in Scotland no problem, my fiance is doing his through a company called Skilling Australia but it is expensive at just over £2k but as its a recognised Australian Qualification we thought it best to do this before we went to put us in a better position when we got there. As above, before uyou apply for your visa you will either be assessed by Vetass or TRA and I think that costs about £600 - you need have that before you can even apply for your visa - 189 Skilled Idenpendent will be your best bet - means you can live and work where ever you like in Australia and be treated as permanent resident. Hope this helps :) x

• 2 months later...
Where in Scotland do you complete the practical skills assessment for skills australia

Hi Connor,

Skilling Australia came out to our house to assess my OH as he done the AQF3 Painting & Decorating. If you have a site they can come out to then they can do that as well and assess you there. Suppose it depends on your trade and what they want to see from. My OH hung some paper, painting a bit of wall - was really easy and quick xx

• 3 months later...
Thanks for the replys guys.

Im currently sitting my VETASSSESS SKILLS ASSESSMENT tommorow and will be applying for a 189 visa as soon as results are through.

thanks again!

Hey Neil, I have been through all the processes and currently awaiting a co to be allocated for my visa, loged April 27th. If I can help in any way pm me. I have contact details for licencing etc or info.

Archived