Assessment of degree for Physicist

Marysrn

Can you, please, explain what do you mean? Where else can I assess my physics degree for migration purposes?

I think you may have misunderstood.

If you want to nominate Physicist (ANZSCO code 234914) as your occupation, VETASSESS is the ONLY authority that can assess your qualifications and work experience for skills assessment purposes. If VETASSESS specifies that for your occupation you need one year of highly relevant work experience within the last 5 years, you won't get a positive skills assessment if you don't have that work experience.

Skills assessment however is not the same as having a degree assessed as being comparable to an Australian degree for educational points. For that, the skills assessment authorities (and I assume, DIBP Case Officers) refer to CEP.

You can nominate any occupation if you believe you can meet the skills assessment requirements for that occupation. VETASSESS always require at least one year of work experience and more in some cases but some assessment authorities (not many) don't require any post qualification work experience. You'll just have to go through the CSOL and check the skills assessment requirements for any likely occupation for which you're qualified. TBH, I don't like your chances of finding anything but I guess it's worth a bit of research.

A possible alternative is to work very hard at getting employer sponsorship for a 457 visa as a Physicist or some other CSOL occupation where a Physics degree would be an acceptable qualification - non-trade occupations don't need skills assessment for 457s. If you can manage to get a 457, your employer can sponsor you for a permanent visa after 2 years if they're willing to do so and you won't need skills assessment at all. In any case, you would then have work experience which may allow you to meet skills assessment requirements for a visa where skills assessment IS required.

Archived