How to get an Australian Passport

KirkyG

Can I ask a a (hopefully) related question? My family and I will be eligible for citizenship next year, having gained PR earlier this year. Do I simply apply for a AU passport, or is there a more fundamental process to follow?

Thanks in advance.

Guest The Pom Queen

In answer to your question once you have your citizenship certificate you can then apply for your passport as normal.

Guest The Pom Queen
Thanks and sorry for the incorrect posting. I guess my question then is how do I apply for citizenship?

Check that you meet all the criteria and then you can either download the forms or complete them online http://www.citizenship.gov.au/applying/fees_forms_appeals/online_apps/ once they are submitted you will be given the date for your test. If you pass the test you will then wait for a letter to say you have been accepted but you need to do the citizenship ceremony as the final step. Each council is different to the length of time this takes.

Thanks Pom Queen, from the link above it looks like it will cost me and the wife $260 each (kids are free) and we'll be able to apply 4 years after the date we got our visa (as we'll have been PR for 16 months by then!!!)

Thanks again.

Kirky

Archived