Emigrating to Melbourne - Plumber questions

combi1983

Hi,

1st post so please have patience with me!

I'm at the very early stages of researching into emigrating to Melbourne. I plan to emigrate with my Wife, both in our early 30's. Melbourne is our destination choice as my Wife's brother currently lives in Melbourne has been a resident for 4 years, we have also visited Melbourne ourselves.

I am a plumber (gas, heating, plumbing) by trade and currently run my own business. I have 13 years experience and have obtained NVQ 2 & 3 (apprenticeship)and I'm also Gas Safe registered, I am also aware that these current qualifications are not recognised in Aus and that I would need to go through the Vetassess route to convert my qualifications. As my destination choice is Victoria, am I right in thinking that I would also need to be licenced by VBA?

One concern I have after reading forums and researching is the trouble that other tradesman, especially plumbers, have in finding work when over in Melbourne, although I cant seem to find any recent info on this matter, only pre 2012. Has the building/tradesmen employment improved recently?

I also plan to go down the skilled independent 189 visa route. Although a sponsorship visa would also be considered but I hear that its near on impossible to obtain a plumbing sponsorship??

Any thoughts and experience from other tradesmen that have been though the process would be great.

Any help and info will be much appreciated, thanks!

• 4 months later...

Larger employers will sponsor, but it is far easier and a more certain result to go with the 189 pathway, then deal with the regulatory issues as you lead up to visa approval and after you arrive. Up to date information is available at VBA, link below. Be prepared to have to build a business though, meaning you might need the finances to carry you through for a fair while.

http://www.vba.vic.gov.au/practitioners/plumbing-licencing-and-registrations

Archived