houses and private schools in Manly and Wellington Point areas

Geejo

Hi

Is there anyone out there with teenage kids going to private schools in the area?

We have looked into Redland College and Ormiston College.

We are hoping to move there in the New year.

Any experiences (good or bad) would be great.

Thanks

Hi

Is there anyone out there with teenage kids going to private schools in the area?

We have looked into Redland College and Ormiston College.

We are hoping to move there in the New year.

Any experiences (good or bad) would be great.

Thanks

We stayed in Manly for our recce. Liked it there but housing was a bit pricey for us to live there. Looked at Ormiston College but not Redlands College as it comes over as too religious for us. Opted for Sheldon College for our daughter when we get there next year but that would be too long a long trek from Manly. Ormiston would be about a 20 minute drive away from Manly, Redlands a bit closer.

Hi - we have been in Wellington Point for 3 weeks now and have a son, who is about to turn 17.

We looked at 3 schools, but I was in contact with more - here are my own personal views (people may have had different impressions than me!)

Sheldon College - the Head is quite a force. Quite the PR lady and we were very impressed. But it seemed way to sterile to us. It didn't feel like a school when we were there. It is quite strict apparently, although she did set out everything to us during the interview and I guess if you break the rules you know what will happen!

Canterbury College - started emailing them while still in the UK and gave up and they didn't seem interested and if they can't be bothered when you are applying, what will they be like when you are there!!

Ormiston College - felt much more like a school than Sheldon. We got the impression that they are all about the results for the school and not for the kids. The guy who interviewed us kept checking himself out in the mirror behind me and constantly clicked his pen.

Iona College - the one chosen. Its a Catholic school and we are not religious, but agree with the values the school were instilling in the boys there. Gave us loads on info on transferring my sons GCSEs into points towards his final grade, the boys looked happy to be there and I really warmed to the Head. They were not worried about our lack of Catholicism, but they are very community orientated, and everyone seems to get involved and support the school. They were also half the price of the other schools, which was not a factor as we left the decision down to our son.

We did not look at Redlands College as I think they are very Christian and we do not attend church, which I gather is something they prefer you do.

Have driven through Manly a few times and it seems nice enough. I love Wellington Point and Cleveland though and think that when we buy in 6-9 months we will stay in the area.

Pm me if you would like any more opinions on the area!! :-)

Hi - we have been in Wellington Point for 3 weeks now and have a son, who is about to turn 17.

We looked at 3 schools, but I was in contact with more - here are my own personal views (people may have had different impressions than me!)

Sheldon College - the Head is quite a force. Quite the PR lady and we were very impressed. But it seemed way to sterile to us. It didn't feel like a school when we were there. It is quite strict apparently, although she did set out everything to us during the interview and I guess if you break the rules you know what will happen!

Canterbury College - started emailing them while still in the UK and gave up and they didn't seem interested and if they can't be bothered when you are applying, what will they be like when you are there!!

Ormiston College - felt much more like a school than Sheldon. We got the impression that they are all about the results for the school and not for the kids. The guy who interviewed us kept checking himself out in the mirror behind me and constantly clicked his pen.

Iona College - the one chosen. Its a Catholic school and we are not religious, but agree with the values the school were instilling in the boys there. Gave us loads on info on transferring my sons GCSEs into points towards his final grade, the boys looked happy to be there and I really warmed to the Head. They were not worried about our lack of Catholicism, but they are very community orientated, and everyone seems to get involved and support the school. They were also half the price of the other schools, which was not a factor as we left the decision down to our son.

We did not look at Redlands College as I think they are very Christian and we do not attend church, which I gather is something they prefer you do.

Have driven through Manly a few times and it seems nice enough. I love Wellington Point and Cleveland though and think that when we buy in 6-9 months we will stay in the area.

Pm me if you would like any more opinions on the area!! :-)

We felt exactly the same about Ormiston though interviewed by (female) Head of Junior. Ormiston had been our favourite before the meeting because the Registrar is very nice and helpful but the way they come across does them no favours IMO. Our daughter chose Sheldon and was not put off at all by the Head's no nonsense approach.

We also went to Moreton Bay College which has separate Boys and Girls Colleges. Well worth a look if you favour single-sex schools. We prefer co-ed but if our daughter had chosen them we would have been happy.

Ormiston slipped from 1st to 3rd on the strength of these meetings.

Just our opinion.

Ormiston was my all out favourite and the registrar was lovely. But the guy we say was not great and my son has met a few students and they don't seem to like it there (but you know what kids are like, they all hate school!).

May the end of the day, it was our sons decision, not ours.

I will comment that the uniforms aren't cheap at private, and our son needed a fancy calculator, so factor that in when looking at your budget!

• 1 year later...
we are looking to move to wellington point area (just arrived from Surrey), our boys wil start school in the next year so was wondering now that you have settled are you pleased with your choices?

This thread is over a year old and the OP may not be around to see it now.

It may be worth starting a new thread in the QLD section of th forum or the Education section and asking this again as you'll maybe get some more feedback.

we are looking to move to wellington point area (just arrived from Surrey), our boys wil start school in the next year so was wondering now that you have settled are you pleased with your choices?

What age are your boys? There are many lovely schools around Wellington Point, both private and state.

Yes, we are though our daughter only started school here 5 weeks ago. Sheldon is a bit of trek from Wellington Point so if you are planning to live there, as Tina says, there will be better options for your boys. We had originally expected to live in Wellington Point but we ended up in Mt Cotton.

Archived