any help?

Guest Vikki

Hi

I'm in my final year studying Engineering and I'm moving to Oz in July 2007 on a 'Work and Holiday' Visa to live with my Australian boyfriend with the hope of then staying on and getting residency. I couldn't apply for a de-facto has we don't have proof of living together for over 12 months.

What are the chances of a company willing to take on a new engineering graduate or me finding mechanical/maufacturing engineering work? I'm hoping to maybe have a job lined up for when I go out and if not I'll just have to job hunt out there. Just wondering if anyone might be able to offer me any advice.

Thanks

Vikki

Guest Fraser
....What are the chances of a company willing to take on a new engineering graduate or me finding mechanical/manufacturing engineering work?

Thanks

Vikki

Pretty good, I'd say, provided your grades are respectable. The issue is that you will nt get more than three months with most, as you are on a holiday / work Visa.

Start doing webseraches and getting your name out to companies in the places you want to visit.

hi Fraser,

I looked up the work and holiday visa info and there was something about you can now work for 6 months. Should I go to a recruitmenet agency or approach companies myself? I'm finding it hard at the moment because I won't know my grades until June.

I'm hoping to get residency if i then apply for a de-facto visa (i wil be living with my australian boyfriend) after my year in Oz or get sponsored by a company.

Guest spray21

Which part of Oz are you going to? I'm headed to Hunter Valley (north of Sydney) and when I do graduate job searches it seems to just come up with bloody engineering jobs! Which is no use to me! But might be good for you!!

Have a look on seek.com.au, see what sort of jobs there are.

Guest fatpom

I'm not certain of the current situation but it used to be the case that if an employer was sufficiently interested in you continuing working for them, then you/they could go for an employer nomination visa.

There are a few hoops for both you & the employer to jump through but if you drive it they are usually happy to go along with it. It locks you into them for 2-3 years - especially useful if they are struggling to recruit & keep skilled people as is the case at the moment.

I've worked with plenty of people doing this option & it seems relatively straight forward if the employer is fair dinkum (genuine). I might add that I think you would have to have either a degree or a trade apprenticeship to qualify.

My field is manufacturing/project engineering also, there is plenty of work here at the moment due to the mining boom but beware that China is causing the loss of a lot of traditional manufacturing (similar to Eastern Europe for the UK I think?) and when the mining boom ends Australian Manufacturing will probably be a tough field to be in.

I am hoping to move to melbouren as that's where my boyfriend is from.

When the visa exspires after a year I am hoping to get a visa that will allow me to work, either a sponsor visa or a defacto-visa.

Guest Fraser
hi Fraser,

I looked up the work and holiday visa info and there was something about you can now work for 6 months. Should I go to a recruitmenet agency or approach companies myself? I'm finding it hard at the moment because I won't know my grades until June.

I'm hoping to get residency if i then apply for a de-facto visa (i wil be living with my australian boyfriend) after my year in Oz or get sponsored by a company.

Hi Vikki,

Please see my post elsewhere on this forum.

By view is that an e-mail appraoch with a request fro an interview when you arrive will pay best results. It is unlikely that anyone wilol offer you a post sight-unsen, unless you have been through a pre-interview with a UK branch office.... and if you wait until you are here you have lost valuable lead-in time... and don't forget, if they say no, write back and ask for help regarding who to contact in other firms thay might know...and who to contact if and when you get your permanent residency!

Guest Fraser
Fraser,

Might you have had a couple of VB's before you posted this ????

:oops:

I never claimed to be literate!

8) 8) 8)

Archived