Plumbing Confusion

jimPlumb

Can somebody PLEASE explain to me how to legally work in Western Australia as a Plumber.

We have gained our Permanent Residency Visa (Through my wife's qualifications) and are planning to come over later this year. I am a qualified Plumber here in the UK and just want to find work as a plumber for an existing company in Western Australia. I have tried to contact officials in WA and am just getting confused by the e-mails I am getting back from them, and they're ,lack of answering the questions I have been asking them.

Please Help

Hi

Unfortunately your UK qualifications don't mean much once your here, despite all the skills assessments you may have had done to get the visa. Plumbers and Electricians IMO are hardest hit and do have a few hoops to jump through trying to convert stuff but on the bright side, i believe WA is one of the easier States to get the licence, so don't give up just yet.

This link will explain what you need to do, try and ring someone rather than e-mail as i can imagine how easy that could get confusing, http://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/building-commission/plumbers-overseas-applicants

good luck and i hope you can find a lesser skilled job to tide you over,Don't get too disheartened as some companys will still you take on but more as a labourer as they can't allow you to work alone without the licence so make sure you say you are fully qualified but from the UK so currently applying for the licence when you job search.

Cal x

Can somebody PLEASE explain to me how to legally work in Western Australia as a Plumber.

We have gained our Permanent Residency Visa (Through my wife's qualifications) and are planning to come over later this year. I am a qualified Plumber here in the UK and just want to find work as a plumber for an existing company in Western Australia. I have tried to contact officials in WA and am just getting confused by the e-mails I am getting back from them, and they're ,lack of answering the questions I have been asking them.

Please Help

Hi Jimplumb

Don't stress mate. Just get yourself over here and enroll yourself on the compulsory 2 week migrant plumbing course at TAFE or MPA and apply for your tradespersons license asap. There is a fair amount of work in Perth at the moment. There are 4 or so new towers going up in the CBD, the new Elizabeth Quays development on the foreshore, the burswood stadium and loads of others. The rectruitment companies are calling out for plumbers at the moment. Have faith, arrive with a determined will do/can do attitude and you'll be alright.

Plumber Paul

Archived