Shipping and Insurance options - Sydney to Oxfordshire

SASINSEA

Hi All

I'm new here so i apologies in advance if i'm doing something wrong. I was 16 when my family emigrated in the late 80's from North London to Sydney, which led to me living all over Australia and Asia for the last 20 years. Married now with 1 6yo son with ailing parents so we are heading back to the UK for a few years to do this on our terms rather than get the dreaded cal in the middle of the night.

My question is regarding shipping. We know what we will take and what we will leave, but so far all 5 shipping quotes for 20m3 have come in within 10% of each other.

What seems to really add up is the insurance.

Does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions on my options here?

Welcome :)

You are much better off getting your insurance from a broker - we used http://www.lettonpercival.co.uk/emigration-insurance/ after seeing them recommended on here. We didn't have a claim so can't comment on that but the customer service was good. By default their insurance covers self-packed items so if you are so inclined you can pack yourself and save a bit of money on the shipping too.

Once you have your quotes you can then play the companies off against each other - most will lower the price, once, if not twice to beat a competitor.

Don't go with shipping company insurance. Go with a 3rd party impartial. Insure Your Move or Letton Percival tend to be the best options there.

Hi SASinsea,

I am looking at moving back next june/july. I was wondering if you could publish your shipping prices or PM me. I need to get an idea on costs (I have asked a few shipping agents but they say its to far away).I would need a 20ft container like you mentioned. Most people on here, say to get insurance with someone else. Are you packing yourself or getting the removalist to pack?

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

OK, so i have recieved several PMs asking for more info and what prices we are getting.

In an effort to pay it forward, what i will be doing over the next 3 weeks is creating a post that is the sort of post i wish i could have found at the start of this process. I'm conscious that i don't want to get anyone in trouble or end up with a take down notice if i offend somebody, so i'll be looking for constructive advice as i progress.

I'll come back and edit this post with a link once it's up

Thanks for the reply. People have published prices before on this forum and I guess you won't have a problem (as each quote is specific to time and capacity).

I got a rough estimate price from crown for $7500-$8000 for a 20ft container (would need to inspect my house tho). Sydney to north Yorkshire.

We came out with crown 7 years ago and they were very good. My wives company paid for this move tho and guessing they are not the cheapest.

Look forward to hearing from you

Got a reply back from OSS. 3 bedroom townhouse,2 adults,2 kids and a baby

They still said $8000-$8500 estimate on 20ft. (you were quoted in meters)

They also said its probably too early to have someone around (we want to move Aug 2015). Hoping I can get it closer to cheswick''s price. Guess I will get the three quotes in May 2015,just difficult to plan for the money. Thanks for help.

Archived