ClezS

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The GC area has some great schools. In the Ormeau,Pimpama,coomera area you have

https://norfolkvillagess.eq.edu.au/Pages/default.aspx

https://coomerariversss.eq.edu.au/Pages/default.aspx

https://coomeraspringsss.eq.edu.au/Pages/default.aspx

There is also Ormeau State School but does not have that good a reputation.

Also there is Pimpama State school but it is bursting at the seams, with plans in place to build a new Pimpama Primary opposite the brand new Pimpama High. https://pimpamassc.eq.edu.au/Pages/default.aspx

There is also Ormeau Woods State High which is only 2 years old https://ormeauwoodsshs.eq.edu.au/Pages/default.aspx

Just make sure you know what catchment you will be in for High School unless you will be going Private High of which there are 5 current private schools with a 6th under construction all in the coomera, Pimpama, Ormeau area, plus one more at Yatala just 20 minuets north of the ormeau area. Fees are good compaired to many UK private schools.

Heading South down the coast a bit from Helensvale you have Varsity Lakes College one of the best state schools in Qld, and this school goes all the way from Prep to Gr 12 but you must be in the catchment or you will have no hope of getting in. It is just round the corner from Bond Uni https://varsitycollege.eq.edu.au/Pages/default.aspx

Back onto the house rental note....

We owned our own house in the UK as im sure many of you do so we found it quite difficult to get a rental when we got here so we offered to pay 6 months rent upfront and we got a house straight away, since then we have gone on to fortnightly payments and ae now building a rental background for any future places we go for.

It was a lot of money but we are glad we did it as we managed to secure the house with only being in the country less than 2 weeks.....in fact it was exactly a year ago today...time flies!

Welcome to the moving to GC in Sept club! We move over on the 8th, no rental sorted yet. We're looking at Helensvale, Oxenford & Coomera (not Upper)! We're all going to have to meet up for a drink. Would be good to have people to share same experience with.

OH has just secured a job at Gold Coast Hospital so we also will be moving over end Sept/Oct. So all help greatly received especially on rentals at what to do. We are in NZ so can take our pets with us in the Cargo hold do not require quarantine, so not got the time to look around for rentals for too long as really don't want them thrown into Kennels at all really but if we do then not for too long.

OH has just secured a job at Gold Coast Hospital so we also will be moving over end Sept/Oct. So all help greatly received especially on rentals at what to do. We are in NZ so can take our pets with us in the Cargo hold do not require quarantine, so not got the time to look around for rentals for too long as really don't want them thrown into Kennels at all really but if we do then not for too long.

If you need a dog boarding kennel for a couple of weeks while you get sorted I can recommend http://www.barkroyal.com.au its not cheap but it is not a concrete cage either. Had our dog there for a month when she broke a leg and could not get up and our stairs a couple of years ago and they were amazing in there care and compasion.

If you need a dog boarding kennel for a couple of weeks while you get sorted I can recommend http://www.barkroyal.com.au its not cheap but it is not a concrete cage either. Had our dog there for a month when she broke a leg and could not get up and our stairs a couple of years ago and they were amazing in there care and compasion.

Thanks we have 2 Bengal Cats so would need a cattery if you know of any

With your pets put together a portfolio when looking for rentals. A letter from the vet to say they are flea free, are wormed every three months and fully vacinated you will need C5 for the kennels including kennel cough, also a 12 month heart worm injection. Not sure of what you need for the cats but your current vet should know.

Photos of your pets and where they live inside or out side. Get a letter from your current agent confirming no damage to the home or yard from the pets. If they live inside photos of your current home to show how neat and clean it is.

Also get from your current agent a letter to confirm you rented or sold through them and a little about your home and how you care for home and yard. With the ease of emails these days it is easy for any prospective agent to email your current agent to confirm your details. A letter confirming your OH employment and yearly salary and some recent pay slips from where you currently are. Basically sell yourself.

With your pets put together a portfolio when looking for rentals. A letter from the vet to say they are flea free, are wormed every three months and fully vacinated you will need C5 for the kennels including kennel cough, also a 12 month heart worm injection. Not sure of what you need for the cats but your current vet should know.

Photos of your pets and where they live inside or out side. Get a letter from your current agent confirming no damage to the home or yard from the pets. If they live inside photos of your current home to show how neat and clean it is.

Also get from your current agent a letter to confirm you rented or sold through them and a little about your home and how you care for home and yard. With the ease of emails these days it is easy for any prospective agent to email your current agent to confirm your details. A letter confirming your OH employment and yearly salary and some recent pay slips from where you currently are. Basically sell yourself.

Thanks Tina great advice. Where do you think we should be looking to rent, making sure the less chance of them getting run over the better, already lost one over here so being in an area that is close to everything socially although would be great I have to think of Samson and his roaming :smile:

Thanks Tina great advice. Where do you think we should be looking to rent, making sure the less chance of them getting run over the better, already lost one over here so being in an area that is close to everything socially although would be great I have to think of Samson and his roaming :smile:

Is Samson a cat or dog ? If a dog no roaming allowed he will get picked up by the ranger and end up in the pound. If he is a cat you can get portable cat runs for the back garden http://bettapetsystems.com.au/catenclosures.html where ever you live you always have the risk of some idiot driving to fast down a street so really far better to keep your pets safe in your own yard.

There are lots of new estates, especially around Ormeau and Pimpama. If you can afford it go for a reasonably priced rental rather than the cheapest as the cheapest tend to be in not such good areas. Lots of brand new rentals around Pimpama and Oremau for $450 a week and I am sure you will find something just as nice for a similar price around Helensvale. use http://www.realestate.com.au/rent easy to use, and also the where is web site to get a map of your chosen area. http://www.whereis.com/search

Is Samson a cat or dog ? If a dog no roaming allowed he will get picked up by the ranger and end up in the pound. If he is a cat you can get portable cat runs for the back garden http://bettapetsystems.com.au/catenclosures.html where ever you live you always have the risk of some idiot driving to fast down a street so really far better to keep your pets safe in your own yard.

There are lots of new estates, especially around Ormeau and Pimpama. If you can afford it go for a reasonably priced rental rather than the cheapest as the cheapest tend to be in not such good areas. Lots of brand new rentals around Pimpama and Oremau for $450 a week and I am sure you will find something just as nice for a similar price around Helensvale. use http://www.realestate.com.au/rent easy to use, and also the where is web site to get a map of your chosen area. http://www.whereis.com/search

Samson is a definite New Zealand cat and like his open spaces so I can see him being one racked off buddy to be in a run lol and $450 is about what we are paying over here so doable

Just a quick hello from me, just want to say thankyou for all the information on this thread. I too am planning in relocating to GC. I have been stalking the schools and housing for years now and cannot wait to start our new lives over there. Unfortunately for us, we are a year behind you. It will be Sept 2015 now before we get over there unless I secure a job earlier. We have 3 children currently aged 10,8 and 3. Glad to see so many families heading over that way! x

Just a quick hello from me, just want to say thankyou for all the information on this thread. I too am planning in relocating to GC. I have been stalking the schools and housing for years now and cannot wait to start our new lives over there. Unfortunately for us, we are a year behind you. It will be Sept 2015 now before we get over there unless I secure a job earlier. We have 3 children currently aged 10,8 and 3. Glad to see so many families heading over that way! x

Hello

With the 3 year old it would be a good idea to have a think about areas and look for a "kindy" for your youngest and email kindys and see if you can get his/her name on the wait list. Places are like Gold and some put there names down at birth. 2 types government which I think is 2 or 3 half days a week, and private that is long day care. I can recommend a brilliant Private Kindy in coomera but you will have to check out fees and sorry I dont know if you will be entitled to a rebate, maybe others on here can help with that.

http://www.coomeraclubhouse.com.au

By the time we move he will be 4 (soon to be 5) and my husband is going to stay at home with him until his first school year starts in January 2016. Thankyou for the information though, I am sure other families will require it.

For some reason, next September does just slot in quite nicely. My eldest and my youngest were both due to start new schools. My husband gets a nice 4 month minimum break, he has worked hard for the past 7 years and I think it will be nice for him to have some time to himself for a while.

By the time we move he will be 4 (soon to be 5) and my husband is going to stay at home with him until his first school year starts in January 2016. Thankyou for the information though, I am sure other families will require it.

For some reason, next September does just slot in quite nicely. My eldest and my youngest were both due to start new schools. My husband gets a nice 4 month minimum break, he has worked hard for the past 7 years and I think it will be nice for him to have some time to himself for a while.

Hello, September felt like a good time to make the move for us too. Son due to start high school in Sept in UK so big changes for him anyway...May as well add more. Hope the planning and prep goes well for you...wish I had more time but hey ho! Hope to see you on the other side. :)

Don't know if anyone can answer this but anyone know roughly how long it takes/took to secure a rental when arriving in OZ? I may think about boarding our cats over here short term then getting them sent over after we have secured a home as Catteries are very much cheaper here than OZ, but would hate them stuck their for an age waiting on us. Also are the references character references or rental references?

Cheers

Don't know if anyone can answer this but anyone know roughly how long it takes/took to secure a rental when arriving in OZ? I may think about boarding our cats over here short term then getting them sent over after we have secured a home as Catteries are very much cheaper here than OZ, but would hate them stuck their for an age waiting on us. Also are the references character references or rental references?

Cheers

References from your current sales agent or rental agency saying what sort of tenant you are, clean tidy pay rent on time. Confirmation of employment and they often look for at least 3 recent pay slips as proof of employment or a letter from your new job saying when you start and your yearly salary.

Hi my names is Jane . my family ( husband and two boys aged 8& 11) and I moved to Toowoomba from Yorkshire August last year. But we are about to be relocated to the Gold Coast with my husbands work. Although we head to the Gold Coast most weekends, we are also trying to find the best state primary schools on the Gold Coast too. We were probably looking at north side of the Gold Coast. Labrador, biggera waters etc.

I would love to hear any info you find out about the areas that are best for families.

We believe you can never make enough new friends. And we know how big a move it is! So please don't hesitate to get in touch.

We definitely don't have any regrets. Australia is a fantastic place to bring children up :-) Good look with the move.

Im heading to the GC in Sept too! OH has been living/working out there since Feb and coming back to check on me once in a while - took him back to Heathrow last night and hes hopefully going to be securing a rental for us this week as has been put up by his company in a serviced apartment in Surfers til now (poor guy!). Word of caution - allow yourself a good day just to fill in the applications, they take hours! We've been checking out crime maps when looking at rentals - http://www.police.qld.gov.au/forms/crimestatsdesktop.asp Hard to know how good an area is without actually being there but based on our internet research, Upper Coomera, parts of Helensvale and Pimpama (on paper) don't appear too great. But as I say that's just internet research and can never compare to speaking to people that actually live there.

Be good to meet up one day for a coffee - nice to know there'll be a few people in the same boat as me :smile:

Im heading to the GC in Sept too! OH has been living/working out there since Feb and coming back to check on me once in a while - took him back to Heathrow last night and hes hopefully going to be securing a rental for us this week as has been put up by his company in a serviced apartment in Surfers til now (poor guy!). Word of caution - allow yourself a good day just to fill in the applications, they take hours! We've been checking out crime maps when looking at rentals - http://www.police.qld.gov.au/forms/crimestatsdesktop.asp Hard to know how good an area is without actually being there but based on our internet research, Upper Coomera, parts of Helensvale and Pimpama (on paper) don't appear too great. But as I say that's just internet research and can never compare to speaking to people that actually live there.

Be good to meet up one day for a coffee - nice to know there'll be a few people in the same boat as me :smile:

There are good and bad areas where ever you live. You only need to jump in the car and cruise around an area to find nice housing estates and not so nice housing estates. There was a shooting at Robina Shopping Centre a good 6 months ago, and a shooting out side the tavern at Pacific pines which is on the other side of the free way to Helensvale. Gainsborough Greens Estate in Ormeau which boarders Pimpama is nice, The Brooks Estate in Pimpama is nice. Jacobs ridge in Ormeau another good one, there are many more. You can never tell crooks can hit anywhere. You just take a few pre cautions. Alway have your door locked and windows and doors locked at night. Have a security door installed on front and back door. Dont leave the car outside at night with tempting things like a Sat Nav sitting on the window, in fact if you can get the car in the garage put it in the garage. Must admit I would not like to live in Surfers.

There are good and bad areas where ever you live. You only need to jump in the car and cruise around an area to find nice housing estates and not so nice housing estates. There was a shooting at Robina Shopping Centre a good 6 months ago, and a shooting out side the tavern at Pacific pines which is on the other side of the free way to Helensvale. Gainsborough Greens Estate in Ormeau which boarders Pimpama is nice, The Brooks Estate in Pimpama is nice. Jacobs ridge in Ormeau another good one, there are many more. You can never tell crooks can hit anywhere. You just take a few pre cautions. Alway have your door locked and windows and doors locked at night. Have a security door installed on front and back door. Dont leave the car outside at night with tempting things like a Sat Nav sitting on the window, in fact if you can get the car in the garage put it in the garage. Must admit I would not like to live in Surfers.

Wasn't an old lady also Pistol Whipped in Robina Shopping centre the other month Tina?

Wasn't an old lady also Pistol Whipped in Robina Shopping centre the other month Tina?

Yes I think thats right. With the changes in the budget we will sadly see increasing crime, but you cant spend your life worrying to much about it. It is all over the world, and Aus in general is a pretty safe place.

Archived