Movecube advertised rates + extra's at other side !!

ctsw2001

We are looking at moving a 20ft container and residue in a movecube. We've got a good rate on the container £3250 20ft and £5000 for the 40ft but we were then looking at Movecube for the residue that wouldn't go in the 20ft container and have too much fresh air in the 40ft albeit it's a cracking price.

So I used the online quotation system on the movecube website and got a price of £940 for a large cube going from Glasgow to Sydney but it also just stated that there was additional charges on top of that but not specified. I've just called them up and the "additional charges" for the other end come in at $858 so in total we're now looking at £1417 for a large cube which is 218 cu ft or in effect 3.7ft of a container which is more than 2 times the cost per ft of a 20ft container and 3 times as much if your comparing it against the 40ft container.

I was led to believe that MoveCube was the cheaper option for moving residue volume albeit their timescales aren't great but at these rates i'd be cheaper with using my existing agent on their own "groupage rates".

Are these movecube rates in line with what everyone else paid ?

Feedback would be appreciated.

We are looking at moving a 20ft container and residue in a movecube. We've got a good rate on the container £3250 20ft and £5000 for the 40ft but we were then looking at Movecube for the residue that wouldn't go in the 20ft container and have too much fresh air in the 40ft albeit it's a cracking price.

So I used the online quotation system on the movecube website and got a price of £940 for a large cube going from Glasgow to Sydney but it also just stated that there was additional charges on top of that but not specified. I've just called them up and the "additional charges" for the other end come in at $858 so in total we're now looking at £1417 for a large cube which is 218 cu ft or in effect 3.7ft of a container which is more than 2 times the cost per ft of a 20ft container and 3 times as much if your comparing it against the 40ft container.

I was led to believe that MoveCube was the cheaper option for moving residue volume albeit their timescales aren't great but at these rates i'd be cheaper with using my existing agent on their own "groupage rates".

Are these movecube rates in line with what everyone else paid ?

Feedback would be appreciated.

Interested to see some replies on this. We were gonna do the same, we are over a 20ft container but would be rattling around in a 40ft and were thinking about a movecube.

£3250 is a cracking quote for 20ft, do you mind if i ask who that is with? We were quoted £4100 for a 20ft, and an additional £1500 for shipping the remainder in a shared container.

I think it depends on where you move from/to with the Movecube charges. We had a quote for London to Adelaide for a medium sized one (146x112x187cm) at £570 plus $400 for quarantine in Australia. We dont have anywhere near enough to do a container so for us it works out to be the best option (its cheaper than doing individual boxes and it means all our belongings are together and we can ship whatever we like up to 1.5 ton). Compared to a container its probably not as cheap but it works for us.

I think it depends on where you move from/to with the Movecube charges. We had a quote for London to Adelaide for a medium sized one (146x112x187cm) at £570 plus $400 for quarantine in Australia. We dont have anywhere near enough to do a container so for us it works out to be the best option (its cheaper than doing individual boxes and it means all our belongings are together and we can ship whatever we like up to 1.5 ton). Compared to a container its probably not as cheap but it works for us.

Same reasoning for us - we discounted excess baggage / box shipping on the basis of all the odd-shaped stuff we have ;)

I asked hubby and our fees the Aus end were about $350 which we paid once the container was checked. IIRC it was a fixed amount we were told at the start of the process and we were billed at the very end but before we took delivery of the Movecube. This was October last year. We shipped from Bristol area in England to Adelaide in SA.

TBH your quote sounds reasonable to me. Given increase in charges and their costs going up over the past year it sounds about right. We paid slightly less for our movecube back then. Overall it was about £1250 or so though, perhaps a bit less, I don't recall offhand.

Movecubes are usually intended for those not shipping much and who don't want a shared container in groupage. You having excess stuff left over from filling a 20ft container, yes it may seem steep when comparing those sorts of costs.

I'd be more inclined to streamline my stuff down some more and just fill the container to the brim and not bother with a Movecube if it were me faced with the extra stuff at any costs be it movecube or groupage.

Archived