Travelling whilst 190 is processing

Biddy17

Hi me and my girlfriend are in the middle of our visa being processed. We have lodged but not yet submitted PCCs and medicals (although we will have them within the next week or 2)

we have plans to visit family in Australia at the end of September and were wondering if it is possible to apply for a tourist visa whilst our PMV is in the middle of processing, also we have noticed there are 3 types, the departments descriptions of them all seem pretty much the same so can anybody clarify which one would be the best to travel on? Also would flights out of the country be required, we have discussed a possibility of staying in Australia if ours is granted whilst we are there. Thanks in advice

It's possible to apply for a Visitor visa while another visa application is being processed. The grant of a new visa usually cancels any previously held visa but simply applying for and being granted a visa won't have any effect on an application that's still being processed.

I'm a bit confused though regarding which visa is currently being processed. Your header says it's a 190 (i.e. a skilled state sponsored permanent visa) but in the body of your post, it says it's a PMV (a temporary Prospective Marriage visa).

It's important (make that VITAL) that if you come to Australia on a Visitor visa, your Case Officer for the 'major' visa must be aware that you are in Australia and can reliably contact you. If you're in Australia when the 'major' visa is ready to be granted, and if it's one that can only be granted offshore (e.g. a PMV), your CO needs to be able to contact you to advise you to go offshore for the grant to take place. I'm not sure about the situation with a 190 that was applied for offshore. Even if it can be granted in Australia, your CO will need to know that you're already here so that you don't need to enter the country to activate it.

If you only want to visit for up to 3 months, you need an eVisitor (651) if you're from the UK or elsewhere in Europe or an ETA (601) if you're from any other low risk country. If you're from a high risk country ort if you want to stay for longer than 3 months, it must be a 600.

On Visitor visas, you normally need a return flight booking but given the fact that you've applied for the other visa, I'd say you won't have any particular problem if you don't have one.

Thanks for this very helpful reply!

To to be honest with you I actually thought PMV just meant permanent migration visa, I was referring to my 190 that is in processing.

Another question I have then is, what happens if I never get any contact from my CO, whilst I am inside Australia and they just go ahead and grant the visa (or refuse!). Thanks

Archived