Buying a car

Apologies if this has been asked before (I have searched!) but I could not find a thread.

Over here in Ireland getting a car on the road involves buying a car of varying price and then it's the three must haves:

Tax- depends on the Co2 output of the engine.

Insurance - This depends on the car value and engine size as well as driver factors.

NCT/MOT - Again this varies depending on value/age of car.

What would the similar breakdown be for registering a car in Oz, SA to be specific.

Also in Ireland, usually, the price listed (either by a private seller or a dealer) is negotiable (At a rough guess, 5-10%) Is the same true in Australia. If a car is listed at 20,000 AUD and we offer a dealer 18000AUD in cash, will they laugh at us?

Bob

Insurance - You need two types - Compulsory Third Party (CTP) and your own Fully Comprehensive if you want to get this. You "MUST" have the CPT before you drive any car. We found NRMA Best quote by far for Comphrensive. CPT is a standard price across all insurers. Go to insurers websites for quotes online for specific car types

Rego - Same as Car Tax in Irl + Stamp Duty (Paid on all car purchases new or old and included in the Rego price.) Go to the department website for your state for estimates. This is for QLD

https://www.service.transport.qld.gov.au/eQuote/eQuote.jsp

Always Bargain - Never pay RRP for new car. This includes a loading for a Trade in. So if you have no trade in you should be able to negotiate up to 10%. I stand to be corrected on this so if anyone can confirm please do so. Have not bought new yet but plan to do and this seems to be the case from my research so far.

And.......Cars are expensive here

Transfer your licence to an Aus one ASAP makes everything so much easier and quicker. Very quick to do in the local transport office

All above applies to QLD but should be similar for other states but check relevant websites

Archived