Making a Will with a UK property

KirkyG

Dear all

I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this so apologies if it needs to be moved. I need to create a will (I have been living in Oz for 3 years) and I still have a property/pension in the UK, so my assumption is that a standard will may not suffice. Can anyone recommend (or suggest) someone I can speak to and get some further information please?

Kind regards

I think you nee a separate will in each country for the assets in each country, I do not think a cover-all will, works due to tax/death duties as well as other obstacles which are certain to get in the way.

A solicitor specializing in wills here in Aus would be your first step, or maybe one of the financial guys on this forum will step-in to better advise.

There is no requirement to have a will in the UK for your UK property but given that your Australian executor will have to obtain probate in the UK courts it is advisable. Your UK pension can paid directly to the beneficiary. It also advisable referencing your UK will in your Australian will particularly if you wish your asset to be distributed by your Australian will. Can you pm or contact me directly with some of the details of the assets and what you are trying to achieve and I can put in touch with one of the solicitors I deal with in the UK. Kind regards, Frank

Archived