Rabies - when should we vaccinate?

JEM44

Hi, we are just about to activate our visas this week on a holiday. We hope to emigrate start of 2016, we have two dogs who will be coming with us and I want to know when is best to have them vaccinated? If we do it now clearly they will have loads of time to have the 6 moth clearance but would they need a booster etc and then clearance again or is it a one off vaccination for life? Don't want to mess this up.

Thanks

Laura x

I have just had my 2 dogs vaccinated, they already had rabies jabs and boosters, the older dog had his lab work years ago, nowadays they only give the rabies jab,which is what my younger one had.so I have now had to have both dogs re vaccinated and lab work certs, this needs to be done well in advance of proposed travel, but not long enough that the lab work is void, I think you should ask your vet and tell vet that you are inquiring regarding emigrating to OZ.Just be sure that the vet is Govenrment approved so they can officially stamp your paperwork.The dogs cannot leave the country for atleast 180 days after bloods are taken, this is about 3 weeks after rabies jab.Im pretty sure that the lab work is then valid for up to 24 months, but double check this.

Archived