Claiming Work Experience Points in EOI

guesthero

Dear Friend,

Can you please clarify me whether I can claim 5 points for my 3 years work experience post qualification B.Tech. Computer Science Engineering for my 189 visa?

Please find below my ACS Result Letter:

Your skills have been assessed to be suitable for migration under 261313 (Software Engineer) of the

ANZSCO Code.

Your qualification has been assessed as follows:

Your Bachelor of Technology from xxx completed June 2009 has been assessed

as comparable to an AQF Bachelor Degree with a major in computing.

The following employment after October 2013 is considered to equate to work at an appropriately

skilled level and relevant to 261313 (Software Engineer) of the ANZSCO Code.

Dates: 04/10 - 02/12 (1yrs 10mths)

Position: Software Engineer

Employer: xxx

Dates: 11/12 - 03/14 (1yrs 4mths)

Position: Software Engineer

Employer: xxx

My MARA Agent says I can as DIAC Calculates the work experience themselves. But I believe I can't.

I read so many similar threads and posts here and still I'm not able to decide as he already submitted my EOI and I may receive invitation to apply for 189 visa next week. I only have 60 points including this and if I lose experience points I need to think of state nomination.

Please reply urgently. Thanks in advance.

No you cannot. The sentence says:

The following employment after October 2013 is considered to equate to work at an appropriately skilled level and relevant to 261313 (Software Engineer) of the ANZSCO Code.

Note the 'after October 2013' part: your experience you can claim would then run from Nov. 2013 to Mar 2014 -- not even a years worth. Which, from everything I have read and understood, means that if you do not follow the ACS' assessment of your experience you risk over-claiming points. Over-claiming will result in your visa being rejected and fees are not refunded.

But, I'm happy to be corrected if I've misinterpreted.

EDIT: I should add this is precisely how I set out my EOI. But I had more points than a I needed, so the work experience (5 pts) I didn't need to worry about.

Archived