Self Employed Personal Statement/Carpenter

Absmac

Hi,

My husband is currently trying for a 189 Visa, he's been a self employed carpenter since 1998. During that time his work has varied from sub-contracting to working for Joe Bloggs. No 2 weeks are the same. For his skills assessment we need to write a personal statement, we obviously want to get this right first time. Has anybody written one that was accepted, if so how much info did you put in....Also client references, did you include these?? Any help would muchly be appreciated.

Hi, my husband had to write a personal statement too, he wasn't self employed but worked for a company many years ago that were bought out by somebody else and we had no way of getting hold of any of the old managers to write a statement for him so he just included the dates he worked there, the types of jobs he did on a daily/weekly basis and what he got paid and then listed all of the tools he used - your husband could do the same but back it up with tax returns and maybe some statements from customers who are happy to give him one. Good luck!

• 8 months later...

I have had to get customer testimonials from 10-15 (looking for 10 good ones) according to my agent. If you think your situation is tough try this. I have worked for 8 years self employed and no two days are on the same job. All for private/domestic clients. Sometimes 3 different jobs per day. And pulling recent customers is fine. Last five years books has them all there. Years one and two are tough. Lots of no answer/disconnected lines etc. Got a few though. People can be real diamonds when you ask for their help. As awkward as it may feel. Got 12 just now and 3 supplier references. SA302s requested from HMRC and accountant testimonial and profit loss statements also requested.

I'm told customer references with continual work in preferred. I can post one I have that has been green lighted by my agent. Yes I paid the money. She has helped us greatly might I add.

Anything else I probably won't know but fire away. I will try.

To whom it may concern,

This is to certify that we, Mr & Mrs ********** have had Robert Young from RYJoinery carry out the following jobs for us at the above address.

· May 2007 - Supplied and fitted laminate flooring throughout our entire house over 4 days.

· October 2007 - Supplied and fitted 3 sets of sliding mirror doors in 3 bedrooms over 2 days.

· November 2008 - Altered Kitchen worktops and added additional kitchen units in 1 day.

· February 2010 - Supplied and fitted 1 interior door in 1 day.

· December 2011 - Mounted 3 flat screen TVs and 3 shelves in 1 day.

· March 2013 - Removed handrail and replaced with small partition wall in 1 day.

· March 2013 - Repaired loose glazing in front door in 1 day.

We were given Roberts details from a friend who highly recommended him. After getting in touch with us to request this letter we have booked him in for another few jobs.

We wish Robert all the very best for the future.

Yours faithfully,

This is one I got. I've editted the address, tel no and email of customer.

This 98% preferred printed out. dated and signed by pen. And certified by a JP / Lawyer etc

Hope it helps.

Archived