Taking the wife

Thom

Reading some of the other topics on returning to the UK with your spouse, which are vaguely, but not really, related to my wife's situation, made me wonder, so I thought I'd ask.

In a few years time, (3-5) me and the wife will return to Blighty. I'm a Pom (Welsh) my wife is Aussie, true blue through and through. So we will need a visa for her.

BUT! By a curious quirk of fate, my wife was actually British born. Her parents, mother Aussie, dad Kiwi, were working in Cardiff when she entered the world. She spent the first six weeks of her life in Cardiff, before they returned to Aus, (via a three month stay in PNG.)

So she has a Pommy birth certificate.

How should we go about getting this recognised so as to ease our passage (oo err missus,) home?

Any and all (sensible) advice welcomed!

Would have thought that as she has a UK birth certificate, it would be a case of simply applying for a British passport

Only reason I can think of why she would not have full UK citizenship is if neither parent had the right to stay in the UK at time of her birth (i.e. They were tourists)

It might depend on when she was born. If before 1983 then being born in the uk may be enough to claim nationality however if born in the UK after 1983, simply being born there does not entitle one to automatic citizenship.

Archived