ACS - System Analyst - 261112

saliskhan

Hi ,

My wife is applying to ACS for System Analyst and we have written a reference letter for her. Can anybody guide me or suggest any change in the job description please , considering the ANZSCO job descriptions . Thanks.

Duties / Responsibilities / Activities

1. Troubleshooting system and network problems and diagnosing and solving hardware/software faults.

2. Responsible for collecting and analyzing all types of IT hardware and software requests from internal customers.

3. Analyzing the functional limitations of the inventory management system and proposing upgrades to the system, based on user data and logged problems.

4. Collaborating with stakeholders to bring upgrades and analyze tradeoffs between computer usability and infrastructure performance needs.

5. Conducting User Acceptance Testing (UATs) sessions of new applications rollouts.

6. Developing and maintaining the process diagrams, source code and operating manuals for enterprise inventory management system in local SharePoint.

7. Used MS Excel and MS Visio to create system specifications for the design and development of enterprise inventory management system.

8. Conducting Request for Information (RFI) for new technology ventures.

9. Finalizing IT equipment after testing and evaluation, and formulating mutually acceptable Service Level Agreements (SLAs).

Is this for a stat dec rather than a reference? A reference is written by the employer rather than the applicant.

Is your wife's job title 'Systems Analyst'? I ask because a number of the tasks included here are not the kind of thing in my experience a systems analyst does and sound more like systems administrators tasks.

I am presuming you have referred to the description yourselves?

261112 SYSTEMS ANALYST

Evaluates processes and methods used in existing ICT systems, proposes modifications, additional system

components or new systems to meet user needs as expressed in specifications and other documentation.

Tasks Include:

• working with users to formulate and document business requirements

• identifying, investigating, and analysing business processes, procedures and work practices

• identifying and evaluating inefficiencies and recommending optimal business practices, and system
    functionality and behaviour

• using project management methodologies, principles and techniques to develop project plans and to
    cost, resource and manage projects

• taking responsibility for deploying functional solutions, such as creating, adopting and implementing
    system test plans, which ensure acceptable quality and integrity of the system

• creating user and training documentation, and conducting formal training classes

• developing functional specifications for use by system developers

• using data and process modelling techniques to create clear system specifications for the design and
    development of system software

• acting as a central reference and information source, providing guidance and assistance in the
    system project decision making process

Example of units undertaken in higher education qualifications:
    Process Modelling, System Testing, Systems Analysis and Design, Data Base Design and Implementation,eCommerce Technology, ICT Project, Data Mining, Project Management, Object Oriented SystemsAnalysis and Design, Requirements Analysis, Knowledge Management, ERP, Systems Architecture,Enterprise Systems.

Example knowledge and technical requirements:
    SQL
    Visual Basic, C++ and Java
    Unified Modelling Language (UML)SAP business software applications
    Vendor/vendor-neutral qualifications appropriate to this occupation:
    (this is not an essential or exhaustive list: please refer to guidelines for eligibility)Microsoft Certified Application Developer (MCSD)

Professional qualifications we might expect in the career:
    ACS Certified Technologist
    ACS Certified Professional

Capabilities that we might expect in this role:
    Systems design
    Database/repository designs
    Solutions architecture
    Consultancy

I think the tasks need to be more closely aligned with the role description. I would also not refer specifically to the 'enterprise inventory management system' - it makes your wife's experience sound rather limited.

I would delete number 1) entirely as I do not believe this is part of a systems analysts role, number 2) is related to ' working with users to formulate and document business requirements' so use those words e.g. Responsible for working with internal customers to analyse and document business requirements.

Look to do the same with each statement - work from the description and find examples from your wife's role that provides evidence for it.

This is just my opinion, my DH and I both had to get employer references and we were supported by a very good migration agent who had a consultant who had previously carried out skills assessments for the ACS. It is one of the most stressful parts - I had been an independent contractor a lot of my career and needed references from so many employers, one refused to provide one as I had not been an employee - they said my own company needed to provide it - but that was just me!! I burst into tears on the phone, it had only been a two month contract and I thought it was going to cost us our visa, that's when I learnt about stat decs :)

I'm a software developer, so perhaps it's very different for me, but I would try and list more tech that you use. If that's appropriate. I'm not sure Excel and/or Visio would blow me away :/

On the other hand; you're not trying to impress the ACS -- just show that what you do day-to-day is in fact what a Systems Analyst does (in their opinion).

Archived