Biomedical Service Engineer

merlsthomas80

Hi, We are expats living in Kuwait. My husband and I are looking to immigrate to Australia under the general skilled category. He has done his bachelors in Electronics & Instrumentation Engineering and has been working as a Service Engineer(Laboratory Equipments) for over 12 years. My question is can Service Engineers apply for an assessment with Engineers Australia? Our agent thinks we need to apply with TRA since his job is more service related - installation, maintenance, repair and assembly.

We are confused since applying with a credential that is TRA assessed limits our chances while applying for visas since it will be regional or state sponsored visas. Anyone had any similar issues? Advise appreciated!

You'll need to supply more information to get an informed opinion. The agent has looked (or should have looked) at the accreditation of his degree, the tasks and duties of his previous employment, the differing assessing authority requirements, state nomination lists, SOL/CSOL.....It's not a simple answer.

Not necessarily, and EA do assess engineering technologists as well which is on the SOL. It's impossible for me to question the advice you've received though as I don't know the facts of your matter, and if a reputable registered agent has advised taking all that information into account I'd be inclined to follow it.

All the best,

Hi, We are expats living in Kuwait. My husband and I are looking to immigrate to Australia under the general skilled category. He has done his bachelors in Electronics & Instrumentation Engineering and has been working as a Service Engineer(Laboratory Equipments) for over 12 years. My question is can Service Engineers apply for an assessment with Engineers Australia? Our agent thinks we need to apply with TRA since his job is more service related - installation, maintenance, repair and assembly.

We are confused since applying with a credential that is TRA assessed limits our chances while applying for visas since it will be regional or state sponsored visas. Anyone had any similar issues? Advise appreciated!

I'm a Biomedical Engineer and using my agent, applied to Engineers Australia using the Sydney Accord route. Sent them my degree along with my work reference.

Came back assessed as Engineering Technologist and was told by EA, if I wanted to be assessed as a Biomedical Engineer then I would have to do a CDR.

Didn't bother seeing Engineering Technologist is still on the SOL

Archived