Pet adoption

Lynsey Nicolson

I know I'm a bit ahead of myself as I don't even have my visa yet but I'm interested in adopting a dog. I have one at home and I miss her more than my family when I travel and I dont think I could imagine having a home and not having a dog.

Has anyone ever had an experience of any of the shelters in perth? Do they do trial runs with the dog in your house? Or home asseessments?

I know when we got ours here, the shelter came back out to check on her a month after we brought her home to see how she was settling in.

I've already found a dog I think I am in love with!

From what I've seen each rescue has it's own homing policy. You'd need to check with the rescue to see if they do a trial period or not. Any decent rescue will do a home inspection.

Also consider if you rent the downside should your lease end or your landlord expects the dog to live outside. Many people find they have to give up their pet when moving rentals (in my experience it's one of the top reasons dogs and cats get given up to rescues).

Thanks for the replies. I did think it would be the same as here and have a trial period.

As for my home, it is being provided by my employer and I'm allowed a dog. I will be living in the back of beyond so I won't need to worry about dog friendly areas :) it'll have as much land as it needs to run about in.

If you get a dog please dont let it run loose, have a fenced area at the house and keep it under control when out for a walk. Many dogs that run loose end up chasing live stock and Farmers are quick to use a rifle to protect there stock.