Self pack container shipping companies.

Nyssa

We're looking for recommended companies to ship our belongings from South East, England to East Coast, New South Wales, Oz.

No furniture to ship, just belongings that live in our one bed flat and some tools from my work van.

We're happy to deliver the belongings to the shipper and pick up the other side as opposed to a company packing our house for us to save costs and the fact there isn't really all that much. Nothing heavy due to no furniture.

I'm also shipping my Caterham and I thought about building a frame over this and loading all our belongings on top, so that it would only take up 10' of a 20' container. I've heard of race teams doing this with cars and loading tyres etc above but I questioned one shipper about it and they didn't like the idea. I'd be happy to take the risk and time to build if it would cost less to only have half a container leaving the other half to be sold out to a separate customer, but if not a goer, that's life.

I was going to ship the car in a container, so if the above doesn't work, I'll be using a 20' container either way.

Any recommended companies that are happy not to do all of the packing themselves and to let me fill a container that they supply? I'm currently using a few boxes to gauge the amount of belongings that we wish to take. I just hate the idea of paying for a container which is partly empty when I could optimse it and happily share out the space if it works out better financially.

David

Am looking for recommendations as well. However I am getting quotes for full service as anything that you pack yourself is not insurable so if you have valuables the shipping co. will not cover any breakages.

Have been signposted to among others

PSS

PICKFORDS

SIMPSONS

CROWN RELOCATION

these seem to come up frequently on forums

One option could be to send your goods via a MoveCube and then ship your car via RORO. I did not have a great experience with MoveCube but others have been very happy with them (all our stuff arrived, it was just 5 months!!) but the RORO option worked very well for us, and we shipped two M3's without damage, on time and very professionally.

Might be worth a look into....

We have our self pack/self load container arriving this Wednesday. We are using a business called shipit (1st move international). So far the process has been fairly straightforward, and the customer service has been excellent. Door to door service, including total loss insurance (excluding AQIS fees) has come in at under £3000 for a sole use 20' container. We are happy to take the risk with damages, as everything has been wrapped to within an inch of its life! We have also been give £100 packaging materials from McFarlane Packaging. It is due to arrive in Brisbane on 1 August. Once it has all arrived etc I will post a detailed thread on here explaining how the whole process has gone.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks.

Thanks for the replies. Sorry for the delay, I believed that new posts would come in via email but alas not. So after remembering my post, I thought I best reply again!

The M3's via RORO. Was it much cheaper than container? I'm rebuilding the Caterham as I type, so I'd like it to arrive in once piece to the standard I rebuilt it to!

Am looking for recommendations as well. However I am getting quotes for full service as anything that you pack yourself is not insurable so if you have valuables the shipping co. will not cover any breakages.

Have been signposted to among others

PSS

PICKFORDS

SIMPSONS

CROWN RELOCATION

these seem to come up frequently on forums

That is incorrect - the shipping companies may well try to up sell their packing service and insurance but regardless of whether you self pack or not you can get insurance much cheaper from a marine broker - we used Letton Percival and your goods are insured whether you have professional packers or not.

http://www.lettonpercival.co.uk

Guest Guest62720

I am a Director of Insure Your Move.

Lady Raincorn is quite correct - irrespective of whether your consignment is packed by a professional removal company or owner packed you will still be able to purchase insurance cover independently BUT one of the main differences is that Owner Packed Goods will exclude loss or damage caused by breakage. All the other perils normally associated with an international removal will be covered ie. theft, total loss, water damage, fire, general average, sue and labour charges etc.

This is standard in all Polices and the actual wording reads:-

Excluding breakage, scratching, denting, chipping, staining and tearing of owner packed effects, including trunks suitcases and the like. Excluding claims for missing items unless an itemised list is provided to Insurers prior to the commencement of the transit.

We strongly suggest you check the Policy wording to determine what is and what is not covered if you are packing your own goods or seek advise from an independent Broker such as Letton Percival or ourselves.

Hi Folks.

Thanks for the replies. Sorry for the delay, I believed that new posts would come in via email but alas not. So after remembering my post, I thought I best reply again!

The M3's via RORO. Was it much cheaper than container? I'm rebuilding the Caterham as I type, so I'd like it to arrive in once piece to the standard I rebuilt it to!

From memory it was a couple of hundred pounds cheaper than a container and a few hundred $ cheaper for the unpacking, customs etc. So I would say probably around $500AUD difference in the end. Not a HUGE amount, but for me with two cars, it was around $1,000 different so it added up. Now if you are planning on sending goods also you need to workout if the different from RORO and say a movecube is worth it for you. If you have LOADS to send then a container might be cheapering but if you can use a MC, I think that will be far cheaper in the long run.

The RORO is perfectly fine from my experience. No damage what so ever and a very quick shipping time, highly recommended in my view to save some $$$$

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jimmy P,

Very interested in hearing your experience of this in August and a detailed process report would be very welcome. We've found that shippers are very reluctant to quote for anything other than a full move including packing etc. we just want to get our stuff there for a reasonable price, and feel we would do a better job. I've used full move services previously, when moving across Europe and don't find that they look after your things very well and always seem to want a trophy of some kind that you don't notice is missing for about 6 months, and we have no rembrandts to worry about. I look forward to your post, Thanks.

The first half went smoothly enough. Packing and loading went as planned. Need to be very organised though to get everything in the container in the time allowed. Container on its way somewhere! Will post again on arrival

Archived