Company Liquidation whilst on 457

AnthonyCronin123

Hello,

The company that was sponsoring my partner and I have gone into Liquidation leaving me 90 days to get someone else to sponsor my visa.

Due to this liquidation i've to apply for a Fair Entitlement Guarantee to get unpaid leave etc..

One of friends said that i might still be entitled to get money towards a flight home due to breaking of the visa even though i obviously will still be looking for work.

Anyone had an experience like this? Do you know if i am entitled to claim for flights home for myself and my partner?

Thanks in advance for any responses

Guest The Pom Queen

I am really sorry to hear this. Yes they are suppose to pay for your flights home but if the company has gone in to liquidation I can't see this happening, sorry. It may be worth having a chat with @Alan Collett or @George Lombard to see if they can help

Hello,

The company that was sponsoring my partner and I have gone into Liquidation leaving me 90 days to get someone else to sponsor my visa.

Due to this liquidation i've to apply for a Fair Entitlement Guarantee to get unpaid leave etc..

Have you sought any advice on this?

I thought to get an Advance under FEG you had to be a Permanent Resident, SCV or Citizen.

Part 2—Eligibility for advance

Division 1—Conditions of eligibility for advance

Subdivision A—Basic conditions of eligibility

10 Conditions of eligibility for advance

General conditions

(1) A person is eligible for an advance if the Secretary is satisfied of all of the following:

(g) when the employment ended, the person was an Australian citizen or, under the Migration Act 1958, the holder of a permanent visa or a special category visa;

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/C2012A00159/Html/Text#_Toc342306456

No i haven't i thought that my 457 would be a special category visa?

Does anyone know?

SCV is for kiwis.

Nothing special about a 457, think you might be on your own there.

In regards to flights you might have to pay your own way home, otherwise if you don't leave you can be removed (deported) and Immigration try and recover the costs from the employer.

But are all 457 holder PRs for tax purposes?

457 is definitely not anything like a Permanent Resident, paying Tax has nothing to do with being a Permanent Resident.

On a 457 you just claim to be resident in the country for Tax purposes. Doesn't mean you can remain in the country as a permanent Resident.

Archived