Not sure if i have enough points for 189 visa :(

paul566

hi i am paul, i am 30 years old married with 2 children, been in australia 16 months now and am looking at going for PR (currently on a 457 visa) i am a Diesel Mechanic by trade have NVQ and City and Guilds level 3. we are both from England just when i do the points test i can only seem to get 50 points am i doing something wrong ?? the only place i can see that i would get the extra 10 points is in the qualifications section. Does a TRA class as Australian recognised qualifications ???

cheers in advance.

and has anyone done this from scratch their selves ? that can give advise

Well, you get 30 for your age, 10 for your qualifications, 5 for Australian work experience (provided you've been working as a Diesel Mechanic) for a total of 45. Do you have overseas post qualification work experience? At 30, you probably have at least 3 to 5 years for another 5 points. The best way to make up the difference is to do IELTS. Do heaps of reading about it and lots of practice (search PIO for threads with tips and suggested reading) and you should manage at least 10 for all 7s and you might even manage 20 for all 8s. Here's a link to get you started:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/194414-ielts-tomorrow-thursday.html

• 5 weeks later...

Archived