Is it cruel making your pets do the journey?

thinker78

Hi there would be great if you could explain the whole process to me when it's all over and your baby is back all safe and sound! I have two lovely Hungarian viszlas that I'm taking home with me and they suffer with terrible separation anxiety, they sulk as soon as I leave the house even when other family members are home! It's going to be really nerve wracking and that's just for me lol

Hi bolt, will do,

We moved our 18 month year old dog and 2 1 year old cats with us from England to Melbourne. It was the best decision we ever made!!! They were so excited to see us when we picked them up and didn't seem phased by the journey or time away form us at all! We have been here since October 2013 and they have completely settled in and we can't imagine life without them.

We used Animal Couriers from the UK they were amazing and made the whole process so easy.

I was just on another site where a lady posted that she flew her very healthy 2 year old dog to Australia (obviously cost a fair bit as it was quite a big breed) and when it reached oz, it was dead!

Worried that I'll be putting my sookie, gorgeous little girl through a big trauma- she is naturally a quiet, people loving little lap dog, I had no idea when we got her that we would be contemplating a move back to the UK. now I'm feeling totally cruel that she might not cope with this.

Do the vets give them something to help or does anyone have any advice on this? Esp if you have the quieter, more lap dog types?

I could not leave her here, she is part of our pack!

I have taken a dog over to the UK and it was fine...but make sure you have your pet passport all sorted before you go as it takes some time from this end. Failure to have it means that you will have to have your pet in quarantine for 6 months - expensive, horrible and not nice for baby!

We rehomed two cats when leaving London; one to a friend of a friends and the other to a good friend. It was the hardest thing I ever had to do particularly with my older cat Winkles. I still remember the feeling I had giving her to Cynthia. She is now very settled and happy mind and has her own garden which she didn't have with us. When I went back to the Uk in October though I couldn't bear to see her as it was going to be more upsetting for me than her! However, I know she is very well looked after as is our other cat which makes it way easier.

I would however never want to have to give a pet up again. We now have a lovely black and orange cat which we are taking with us if we do ever go back there! :wink:

butter cup who did you use .....we have 3 dogs and 3 cats and we are taking all of them back to the uk o and 3 kids :wink: .... there is no way at all we could leave them here , they are our babies :) xxxx

wow! how much did that cost you - dont answer if you dont want to - we have 2 dogs and 2 cats ////most expensive 'rescue' animals weve owned lol

I am considering buying a dog here, if we return, we will bring it back.

Wife thinks it's cruel, but they tend to normally suffer less than us on such distances.

No costs are mentioned on this thread, wondering if anyone would not mind sharing? Just for a rough estimate :)

Thanks very much