Bank Accounts & Medical Insurance

weaseltron

Hi all

My wife and I will be arriving in Sydney at end of August this year. We are in the final stages of getting our 457 visa right now.

I was wondering if you kind folks can help me with 2 queries?

1. We need medical insurance for the visa, which is fine, but we are from the UK so eligible for medicare. With this is mind, is it advisable to just go for the basic coverage (from Iman for example) and if so, can we upgrade later if need be? The reason being obviously that we will need to start paying now but wont be in Sydney for another 3 months or so.

2. Is it possible to arrange a bank account before we arrive? If so, what docs would we need to provide them and is there a bank you would recommend? We just want somewhere to store our money so low charges, easy access to ATMs etc etc.

Thanks in advance

Andrew

We have also set up with ANZ, they have lots of useful links on their website. Also if you set up with ANZ you can get additional luggage allowance with Emirates (I think it was 46kg per person).

Also regarding insurance, we are in the same position as you and are now just awaiting confirmation of our 457. We have done our insurance through HIF. We had to pay a fee to set up the policy, however during the set up it asks when you'll be arriving in Australia, based on this we won't start paying further payments until our arrival date.

Hope it helps a little.

Archived