Tax... UK employee transfer at beginning of Oz tax year

ksarah

Hello,

I was hoping that someone may be able to shed some light on a few tax queries ...

By way of background, Hubby *potentially* has a job in Oz with his existing company (he has PR via a spousal visa). We arrive in Oz on Sat 28 June and after a week of unpaid leave, he'll start working remotely on 6 July.

1. I assume that even though he has continuous employment (& isn't even switching 'roles' till Sept) that he needs to get a P45 in June so he can complete the P85 form. Is this correct?
  2. Would he get a tax rebate in the UK?

HUGE thanks in advance for any help in answering these questions!

You should probably talk to a professional that can help you get this set up properly. He cannot just carry on on the UK payroll without some modifications, he needs to start paying Australian tax not UK tax and NI, many payroll systems and departments will be flummoxed by that.

I would have thought a payslip would contain all the information required for the P85 by the way.

Many thanks for your reply, Rupert.

I understand that if this goes ahead he will be paid via the Oz office come July. Not sure they (UK HR) realise about the P45 (as specified in P85 form) but perhaps there's another form that we should be using. It would indeed be prudent to get a tax accountant involved...

Many thanks for your reply, Rupert.

I understand that if this goes ahead he will be paid via the Oz office come July. Not sure they (UK HR) realise about the P45 (as specified in P85 form) but perhaps there's another form that we should be using. It would indeed be prudent to get a tax accountant involved...

Ok so his employment, his legally employing entity is being transferred, in which case he should have no problem getting a P45. Sorry I am losing sight of the question a bit now, seems pretty straight forward as he is transferring.

Archived