When to do IELTS?

Canuck

Hello,

We are awaiting results from my husband's skills assessment. They hopefully should be back within the next couple weeks. My husband is turning 33 in June, so he will be losing 5 points and I think he is going to have to sit the IELTS. When can he do this? Does he have to have it completed before this EOI can be submitted? or can he do it after we have submitted the EOI, but before we apply for the visa (190)?

Thanks

Guest guest30085

You have to have completed the IELTS and received your results before you submit the EOI. I would book one ASAP and start practicing. It may be a few weeks before there is a date available. You only need the general test if wanting to claim points, the academic test is only required for certain occupations skills assessments.

To obtain 10 points you will need to score 7 in each of the four components of the test, listening, reading, writing and speaking. Ignore the overall score given as this means nothing for migration.

To obtain 20 points then you need to score 8 in each of the four components.

We were in the same boat as you trying to push everything through before Rick turned 33, and it was actually the one part in the whole process that held us back because he only got the results he needed (7 or above in each element) after 3 attempts. Like Adonna said, I'd get it booked ASAP and getting doing loads of exam practice questions. IELTS looks simple on the face of it, but you need to learn how to answer their style of questions. We got the 'Official IELTS Practice Materials 2' from Amazon and it was really useful, but it didn't stop me from tearing my hair out trying to explain to Rick that he needed to answer things their way! Good luck with it!

He was able to register for the exam this Saturday, and picked up that book for studying :) Hopefully it goes well!!

Wow that was quick, ha ha! Best of luck with it. From what Rick said at the time, I don't think there are any surprises on the day, so as long as your husband has a practice with the book I'm sure he will do great!

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to post an update...My husband received the (passing) results of his IELTS 9,9,8,and 7 (in writing) ... guess he won't be writing a novel anytime soon! haha. Thanks for the help and book recommendations. He said he wouldn't have done so well if he didn't pick up the books!

Archived