Ielts General or academic?

minijax172

Hi,

I am wondering if someone can help me, I have just found out I am 5 points away from getting 60 points to apply for 489 visa.

I need to get Ielts 7 so I have enough points.

Does it have to be general or academic test I need to take please?

Guest guest30085

Yep, general is fine for just claiming points from DIBP, only certain occupations need academic for their skills assessment

Hi guys, I don't know if anyone can help me. I only got a D and E for English in GCSE's 11 years ago. Other than gaining my NVQ I haven't done any studying since. What do you think my chances are of getting IELTS 7 on each? I've heard some people really struggle with it so anyone who is or knows of anyone who was in the same boat any advice would be really appreciated.

Thank you

Hi guys, I don't know if anyone can help me. I only got a D and E for English in GCSE's 11 years ago. Other than gaining my NVQ I haven't done any studying since. What do you think my chances are of getting IELTS 7 on each? I've heard some people really struggle with it so anyone who is or knows of anyone who was in the same boat any advice would be really appreciated.

Thank you

Preparation is the name of the game.

Review under test conditions.

Register for a pre-test workshop.

http://aapress.com.au/ is a good resource

Guest guest30085

Hi minij

You also get 30 hours online practice when you book the IELTS test, they will send you login details so you can access materials through the official site.

Just get used to the format of the test, then keep practicing.

The test is in 4 parts:- listening, reading, writing and speaking. You will sit the listening, reading and writing in one test sitting (3 hours - one hour for each) speaking is done at a separate time either on the same day or on a different day - it depends on the test centre and the demand on the day.

Its all very official, you will queue up then they check your ID etc and take your photo, then you will be assigned a seat. You have to leave all personal belongings outside the exam room usually in the reception area.

The listening part is first, this is quite straightforward, you just mark your answers in the booklet they provide. Try to keep concentrating though as one hour of listening to the recordings drone on cane make you drift off. Try practicing a few and get used to the format of the recordings.

The reading section is next, they again will hand out the booklets and then start the timer. Most of it is fairly straightforward, but one section is a true/false/not given and you have to pick an answer from a block of text. Try not to read too much into it, if it's there in black and white then it will be true (or false if it states the opposite). Another section you have to read a series of paragraphs and decide which statement matches. Again try a few practices to get used to it.

The writing section will consist of two parts, the first will be to compose a letter (they give you the details) such as writing a note to a friend who needs directions or help with travelling around the UK. This should be at least 150 words, it's very straightforward and I wouldn't spend more than ten/fifteen minutes on this section. If it says write to a friend then start the letter dear xxxx (first name) and keep the letter fairly informal. If it says you are writing a more official letter then start it dear sir/madam or dear mr xxxx etc. and state the reason for the letter 'I am writing to complain about xxxx' or 'further to the recent changes, I am writing to express my xxxxx'.

The second part of the writing test will be an essay, this is only I think 250 words. You will be given a statement and asked if you agree or what are the benefits or consequences of the given statement. Structure your essay so it has an introduction (so re-word the statement they've given you, do t just copy it word for word) and state what the essay will aim to do.

Usually you would then go on to give reasons for and against, so intro, paragraph on reasons for, next paragraph on reasons against then write a conclusion.

This is a bit rushed as I'm multitasking and typing on an iPhone, but hopefully it will give you some idea.

Hi minij

You also get 30 hours online practice when you book the IELTS test, they will send you login details so you can access materials through the official site.

Just get used to the format of the test, then keep practicing

The test is in 4 parts:- listening, reading, writing and speaking. You will sit the listening, reading and writing in one test sitting (3 hours - one hour for each) speaking is done at a separate time either on the same day or on a different day - it depends on the test centre and the demand on the day.

Its all very official, you will queue up then they check your ID etc and take your photo, then you will be assigned a seat. You have to leave all personal belongings outside the exam room usually in the reception area.

The listening part is first, this is quite straightforward, you just mark your answers in the booklet they provide. Try to keep concentrating though as one hour of listening to the recordings drone on cane make you drift off. Try practicing a few and get used to the format of the recordings.

The reading section is next, they again will hand out the booklets and then start the timer. Most of it is fairly straightforward, but one section is a true/false/not given and you have to pick an answer from a block of text. Try not to read too much into it, if it's there in black and white then it will be true (or false if it states the opposite). Another section you have to read a series of paragraphs and decide which statement matches. Again try a few practices to get used to it.

The writing section will consist of two parts, the first will be to compose a letter (they give you the details) such as writing a note to a friend who needs directions or help with travelling around the UK. This should be at least 150 words, it's very straightforward and I wouldn't spend more than ten/fifteen minutes on this section. If it says write to a friend then start the letter dear xxxx (first name) and keep the letter fairly informal. If it says you are writing a more official letter then start it dear sir/madam or dear mr xxxx etc. and state the reason for the letter 'I am writing to complain about xxxx' or 'further to the recent changes, I am writing to express my xxxxx'.

The second part of the writing test will be an essay, this is only I think 250 words. You will be given a statement and asked if you agree or what are the benefits or consequences of the given statement. Structure your essay so it has an introduction (so re-word the statement they've given you, do t just copy it word for word) and state what the essay will aim to do.

Usually you would then go on to give reasons for and against, so intro, paragraph on reasons for, next paragraph on reasons against then write a conclusion.

This is a bit rushed as I'm multitasking and typing on an iPhone, but hopefully it will give you some idea.

Hi adonna

Thank you so much for taking the time to write and explain everything to me I am very grateful. I am ordering a couple of books to also help me before I book the test, so fingers crossed I will be able to get my head around it all and do well.

Thanks again

Sarah :smile:

Archived