Am I doing this right?

ScotOz2014

hey fellow PIO users :D

i just want to see what people say about this, if im going about it the right way :)

the details i need before i leave are travel insurance for 1 year (which covers me medically too), my WHV which costs £265, and a one way flight to melbourne? does this sound okay or am i missing something out?

then when i arrive i'll open up my bank account and pick up my debit card (havent got round to picking a bank yet). use moneycorp to transfer my money over to my aus account. also il need to get my TFN (Tax File Number) for working in aus.

does this sound like im on the right track? any help will be greatly appreciated :D

sounds like a plan!

As soon as you apply for your WHV you automatically get the TFN attached to your visa so all you need to do it phone them and ask for it. No need to apply for it when you're there.

Don't think there is anything else. It's an adventure and you don't want to be too prepared for it, that's all part of the fun!

Not 'must do'. But just to make life easier....

I would get your CV sorted before you come. Maybe save a general covering letter In Your emails too. Finding a computer to do it here and that lets you save a document can be painful.

Print off a copy of your visa approval as you will need it to open medicare.

Scan your passport and drivers licence and keep them in an email with your flight details and visa. Send it to yourself and flag it so it's easy to find later. Basically any thing that requires a computer, it's easier to do at home.

Get your phone unlocked by your UK service provider. Again, it can be a pain trying to do it from here.

You could also consider opening a UK bank account that allows free overseas withdrawals rather then transferring money if you have more than say £3k or if the rate is low when you come to transfer to avoid paying the transfer fee (I know money corps is free but actually, you get a lower rate so essentially you do pay) - also, if you do transfer, check around, there were better rates elsewhere when we were doing it.

I didnt know that about the TFN, I applied for mine online :S

Thanks for the advice "Lynsey Nicolson" and "Britpop". I already have my phone unlocked. At the moment im with O2 but iv been researching some of the australian network providers and theres a couple of cheap ones that are ideal for me :)

Archived