WHV registered nurse visa confusion!

danbrown12

Hey guys,

I'm Dan, a 23 yr old registered nurse from the UK currently in Adelaide on a working holiday visa.

I am planning to apply for a visa (not sure which yet though, preferably one that doesn't tie me to a hospital) however it is all so confusing. Pretty sure I will need to do an IELTS academic test and score 8 or above for the necessary points. Complete the ANMAC assessment. Also, complete a years work (WHV) to obtain extra points. This should all be enough to get me in however which visa should I apply for?

Which is easiest/cheapest to obtain? How difficult is the IELTS exam? Time period to apply?

I have until October and my current WHV and plan todo 88 days of farmwork to obtain a 2nd year WHV but the end goal is to have something more permanent!

Any help will be hugely appreciated!

Kind regards!

• 2 weeks later...

If you can get all 8s or better on IELTS (or as a nurse, you can do OET for which you need all As for maximum English points), you'll score 60 points on the points test which, with a positive skills assessment from ANMAC will be enough to get you an invitation to apply for a 189 Independent visa even without points for work experience. Getting an invitation even with the bare minimum of 60 points shouldn't take more than a couple of months (if that). That's the best visa of all and has no strings whatsoever.

Only 189 and 190 visas have no ties to a particular employer and both cost the same.

Quick update, is this info correct?

So, I am a 24 year old surgical registered nurse (Diploma) already in Adelaide (from the UK) and registered with APHRA on a working holiday visa.

My plan is to obtain a 190 visa to stay in Adelaide indefinitely. From what I can tell, you need 60 points to apply for this visa.

Visa 190 = 5 points

Age = 25 points

IELTS 7 = 10 points (Have not yet taken the exam)

Qualification = 15 (If my diploma is seen as equal to bachelors degree)

Australian work experience = 5 points (I will have been working with an agency for one year this October).

So there are a couple of things I need clarifying before applying for any visa.

First, would I only require a modified ANMAC assessment as I am already registered with APHRA thus eliminating the need for doing an academic IELTS?

Second, would I only be able to start applying for this visa once I have reached 1 year in employment in Australia (October)?

Lastly, If I did need to score 8 in the IELTS to achieve enough points to cover any potential loss in points, would I only need to score an overall 8 or an 8 across all sections of the exam?

Kind regards,

Dan Brown

Archived