Possible move

Platten81

Hi everyone.

just joined the forum for some possible general advice. I'm hoping to relocate to Perth from York ,UK. I have a job offer of $80-90k a year. I also have a house remaining in the uk which I can rent out for a further income of approx $13000 a year. I have a wife and two daughters aged 7 and 5 who would be joining me. We are not looking to live the high life but a comfortable lifestyle would be what we are after. Initially , I would be working on the 457 visa with the aim to obtaining the permanent 186 after 2 years.

i'm really just looking for some honest advice on how far you think this salary would go and if we could be comfortable on this. I would be the sole bread winner to start with, however in time My wife would try to find part time work.

many thanks

Hi there. Can't say for Perth I'm afraid, as I'm in Melbourne. I think 457 holders in Perth have to pay for education for their children, so you need to factor in that cost. We came over on a 457 & were able to obtain 186 after 2 years. Will the company pay for your relocation costs as that can be quite expensive? Also, just something to be prepared for, 457 to 186 isn't guaranteed. It's worked for us and many others, which is great now. But I'm a control freak and there were a number of times we came close to losing our jobs, which would have meant going home. That caused me so much stress and worry. If you're a more relaxed person and just wants to give it a try with no dramas if you go home, then it's probably fine. Your kids are at an age where if they have 2 years out of school and go back and start again, it won't impact on them massively. We had a 15 year old with us, who settled really well, so the pressure that we may have to return home and uproot his life, weighed heavily on me. I guess how the 457 works out depends on some luck and your outlook on life. I'm a fellow Yorkshire pudding, so happy to help more if I can.

The general consensus on here is if you have children try your best to get a PR Visa.

Factor is education costs for each child.

Factor in you would be entitled to child family benefits.

Also you have no security, if the job ends (plenty do just read threads on here) then you have a short period of time to pack you and your family back to the UK. I believe the employer may be responsible for flights but there is a lot more to consider. A container AUS to UK for example is very expensive.

If its your only option weigh up the pro's and con's. The salary seems relatively reasonable to survive but Perth is an expensive place. From what I have gathered from this forum you wouldn't be living the high life but you wouldn't be left with nothing depending on the lifestyle you lead.

Personally, with children I would only entertain a 457 at a last resort. Could you contact the employer with your concerns and ask about sponsorship for a permanent visa?

Thanks for those pieces of info. The employer is going to contact me via telephone over the weekend so I can thrash some questions out with them then. They have also mentioned me going for a week to view the job and company so maybe I could push for the permanent visa then.

thanks again and any more info would be appreciated

Have you looked where the company is located and particular suburbs you could live based on your salary? Perth is a very large place!

The company is based in Canning vale. Not sure. How it measures up in respect of decent places to live,cost etc. any ideas?

cheers

Have you tried realestate.com.au?

Have a look for houses around that suburb. I don't know Perth I afraid. Also google some Australian mortgage calc's to determine what size mortgage you would be entitled too? They are not exact but a good starting point.

Canning Vale and surrounding areas are definitely not even close to the most expensive in the Perth metro area. Personally, I've lived in Huntingdale and Harrisdale, which border Canning Vale on two sides. Canning Vale has nice schools and all the local amenities that you would need (including good fish and chips!).

Check out this website as a reference point. http://reiwa.com.au/Research/Pages/Price-growth-by-suburb.aspx

-Elizabeth

Archived