457 to 187, no required 2 years contract?

my work mate was 457 for four years, then applied 187. However, his application rejected due to minor issue.

Now, he is trying to get another 457 and will apply 187 whenever he is ready to apply for it.

He told me today, he heard this from his agent and he is going to do this...

once he gets another 457, then apply 187 straight away (because he needs to apply offshore visa, 457 is the earliest way to get back to work). Because he worked for 4 years already, he can apply 187 direct stream and he doesn't need to work for 2 years after the visa is granted.

Is that true? if you work previously for the work place or the same industry, you don't need to work for 2 years as a RSMS rule??

Even he said the 187 doesn't have to do the same company as the 457 sponsor...

No that isn't true at all. I had worked for my employer for 3.5 years before getting my rsms and I still have to work there.

Anyone can apply for a 187 direct stream at any time, without having worked for the company before. They just need a valid skills assessment. If you have done two years (has to be for that company) before hand you can skip the skills assessment. You still need to do two years after though. This is the only pr visa which can be cancelled if you don't.

He might be getting confused with the 186 which does not have the two year requirement.

Archived