car shippers

craig281

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Craig

We used Cargo on line to ship our car last year. It got here fine and the company that did the compliance were very good. We shipped to Brisbane.

However, we felt being novices to importing a car that we weren't well informed by cargo online of the process of how the car got to the ship, other documents we may need, the customs/ cleaning process in Australia. I sort of felt that they knew what they were doing but didn't want to take the time to explain it to me.

saying that the car arrived and all was fine, just get a few quotes and go with whoever you feel comfortable with would be my advice. Don't underestimate the costs of the compliance though, it cost us about $ 1500 more than we budgeted as we needed a third anchor point for a child seat and 4 new tyres, even though our car had passed its MOT in the Uk about a month before it left.

you can do the initial private import form yourself though, we did, its pretty straightforward.

hope that helps.

Dawn

• 1 month later...

thanks for the response sorry for late reply been busy. car arrived on wednesday. I have booked it in for inspection next week. Do you know what the process is from there about reg plate and what they might pick up on? thanks craig

Hi Craig

I don't know the exact process, I'm afraid, I'm sure someone on here would have a much better idea. My lay mans understanding is it is valued and assessed for duty etc at the port Cargo on line handled the port side for us, from there we got another agent to do the rest. They were brilliant and kept us well informed. I have dug out the invoice we got from the company that did the compliance here in Australia. This is in Queensland so I have no idea if it is the same everywhere. I would expect each state is different, so please don't base anything on this.

Compliance inspection $ 290

Road Worthy inspection $ 67.50

12 months rego and CTP insurance. $ 1729

Management fee ( labour, use of trade plates, environment fee etc) $360

Fitting of child restraint and 4 new tyres $ 1113 ( we have run flats on our car so may be more expensive than others )

That doesn't include fees from the port or the duty payable there. We also had to pay for the car to be steam cleaned at the port. I can't find the invoice for these charges I'm afraid.

Also we could only find 2 companies that woul insure the car as it was an import, we rang around lots but none if the mainstream ones would. We went with Shannon's.

I hope some of the above helps.

Edited - above prices don't include GST.

Dawn

• 2 weeks later...
thanks dawn thats very helpful all the port stuff is done its at my house now taking it over the pits on tuesday. my car already has the child safety thing. what is the ctp insurance?

Just be a little careful with this. I imported two cars, both had the isofix restraints but one needed new anchor points mounted,but that only cost me $150 with the company I went through.

If you don't mind me asking, what are you are planning on importing and for what reason (Make money, love the car, value of cars in OZ etc). I think a lot of people get caught up with the outright prices of cars in oz and think they will be better off importing when in fact, in the long run, you can lose out quite a bit. Now having said that, I imported two cars and am still well in front in terms of value should I see the second one (already sold the first) but I was well aware of what I was getting into.

Happy to give some advice / experience from my side if that will help.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Hopefully someone can help me please.

I have a very much loved MX5 1.8i Sport reg in 2003, only done 17,000 miles. Looking at moving to Brisbane. We have been told it can go in a 40 foot container with our furniture etc.

Is it worth importing?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jules

Archived