references for 457 visa

lnicolson

Hi

I'm currently at the start of applying for a 457 visa. My boss and I are going through an agent to do it.

My query is, are references on your cv checked by either immigration or the agent? The reason I ask is my major reference is extremely ill and we don't know if he will be about at the time when I need his most recent reference for me.

thanks

lynz

Hi,

To my knowledge, nobody from immigration or the agent we used followed upon my references, but I'd worked for the UK branch of the company that sponsored me for 2 years before I applied so perhaps there was an assumption that they'd checked my references and if they were satisfied, that was enough?

My agent did tell me that immigration can and sometimes do check up on references, for example if they relate to a dual role where they want to check that the majority of your job was related to what you're being sponsored for, or if your description of what you did there is a bit vague. I'm sure the agent will be able to give you advice on what the reference should contain and what to do if that person isn't available to give an updated reference. Might be worth speaking to an agent sooner rather than later and getting a reference now just in case?

Archived