finding work. how easy?

ScotOz2014

hello everyone :) im a 21 year old man who is looking at heading to australia at the end of this year/start of next and i was just wondering how easy or hard it is to find part time work?

obviously its like everything else meaning you have to go out and find it for yourself and ask around, but on the otherhand, iv heard a few people tell me that because the recession hasn't hit australia as hard as its hit the UK, it should be easier to find some part time work.

with me applying to get my WHV, il be looking at getting a job on a farm doing some fruit/veg picking for the duration of 3 months to extend me visa from 12 to 24 months.

is it easy to find a job on a farm over there? is it worth having a look on different sites that advertise such jobs before i go? how easy/hard is it to get a job? because obviously il need to make some sort of income during my stay :)

It depends what you are looking for - I assume you are coming on a WHV? There is a big turnover (for obvious reasons) of part-time work (mainly retail & hospitality) filled by people on WHV so it shouldn't be too hard.

Once you get hooked into the WHV network you will find farm work easy enough to come by - we had aupairs work for us that went on to agricultural work at wineries, mushroom producers, dairy farms etc.

There are lots of websites such as this one... http://jobsearch.gov.au/harvesttrail/

Personally the nature of this kind of work means I do not think there is much point in applying before you are in Australia but I could be wrong.

Archived