Where to live in Sydney?

sjelves

Hi all,

Today my partner and I got the news that he got a job in Sydney.

He will be working near to Circular Quay & I am a paediatric nurse hoping to get a job in a children's hospital either in Westmead or Randwick. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on nice areas to live with good transport links for both of us?

Our budget will be around $650 per week. Is it likely that we will be able to find a nice apartment for that amount?

Really appreciate your opinions/help.

Sophie

Hi Sophie,

congrats on your partner's new job!

My husband and I are still kind of new in Sydney and I didn't know where Randwick or Westmead were, but after having checked the map both are in complete opposite places - one is way west and the other is south. Circular quay is very central indeed.

Personally, I don't know much of places west and south - we live in the lower north shore in Neutral Bay, which is like ten mins drive from the CBD, so we know the city, the lower north shore, Manly, northern beaches and Chatswood (north) mainly. However, we have heard the inner west suburbs are fine (you can google it) but not to go further; and for places between CIrcular Quay and Randwick -i have no idea - maybe you guys can check on places near the coast? We have been around Surry Hills, Paddington and Darlinghurst and they are not our cup of tea for living but they are very convenient and close to the city, with galleries and bars around. Then there is bondi, bronte and others places on the coast line but may compromise distance.

Transport wise, there will be always a way. In the inner west there are the tram, buses, ferries. South wise, there are the train and mainly buses. Sydney transport is just different to the the London one, the rail line is not as big and one just need to learn to understand it.

Rent wise, I'm sure you can get a nice place with the budget you got, but again it depends on what you want, how big, where and if furnished or unfurnished and other adds you may want. Rental goes quickly, but if the company of your partner gives you guys some temporal accommodation, then that would help a lot to get around the city and check places. Ah, before coming here I checked on cityhobo.com and it helped us narrow options of places to live according to what we are used to and like.

Once again, I am kind of new in Oz too, but I hope this helps at least a bit. And sorry if you find some parts that don't make sense... i'm writing this very late at night and about to go to bed. :/

anything, just ask! :)

Archived