Aircraft maintenance engineer

LeeWilliams

Hi everyone,

Just a quick intro, my partner and I have just moved to the UK with our 2 yr old boy from the Falkland Islands. I'm a licensed aircraft engineer with 6 yrs experience working for the Falkland Islands government air service.

We've been planning the move to Australia since early 2013 but inevitably ran into a few hiccups. At the time my occupation was on the SOL and I we family in Brisbane willing to sponsor me but, July came around and we found out my occupation had moved to the CSOL and I was no longer eligible for family sponsorship. It's all very annoying as all we waiting for was a skills assessment which we sent off in May and they had received it and had sent the assessment back by the end of May but because the post is so slow it took 2 months to reach us and the immigration rules had changed. If they had sent the results via email, as we had requested, I believed we'd definitely be in oz already.

anyways, since then we've been scouring the internet and forums for advice. Luckily we are still on the CSOL so we do have a slim chance of still getting to oz. I've set up my skillselect profiles with interests for 489, 190 and 457.

I've been hoping on getting employment in Queensland on a 457 visa. Been sending CVs out and applying for almost job out there.

At the moment we've looking more into the state sponsorship and we didn't realise at the time you had to set our skillselect profile to just one state and also apply directly for sponsorship. At the moment it just looks like South Australia are only sponsoring aircraft engineers. Has anyone gone through this same process yet off applying for sponsorship from SA? Any info would be great and if there are any AMEs reading this perhaps a pointer in the right direction for job prospects down there?

P.s. Sorry for the long winded post lol

Lee

Hi Lee

My husband is also an AME (unlicensed) and we are planning to go to SA but as I am a nurse we are applying for PR with me as the main applicant. There doesn't seem to be many posts from AMEs on here but check out SEEK and Indeed jobsites as there does seem to be a lot of vacancies for licensed engineers, although I'm not sure whether they will sponsor but you could always try emailing direct. Good luck.

Hi everyone,

Just a quick intro, my partner and I have just moved to the UK with our 2 yr old boy from the Falkland Islands. I'm a licensed aircraft engineer with 6 yrs experience working for the Falkland Islands government air service.

We've been planning the move to Australia since early 2013 but inevitably ran into a few hiccups. At the time my occupation was on the SOL and I we family in Brisbane willing to sponsor me but, July came around and we found out my occupation had moved to the CSOL and I was no longer eligible for family sponsorship. It's all very annoying as all we waiting for was a skills assessment which we sent off in May and they had received it and had sent the assessment back by the end of May but because the post is so slow it took 2 months to reach us and the immigration rules had changed. If they had sent the results via email, as we had requested, I believed we'd definitely be in oz already.

anyways, since then we've been scouring the internet and forums for advice. Luckily we are still on the CSOL so we do have a slim chance of still getting to oz. I've set up my skillselect profiles with interests for 489, 190 and 457.

I've been hoping on getting employment in Queensland on a 457 visa. Been sending CVs out and applying for almost job out there.

At the moment we've looking more into the state sponsorship and we didn't realise at the time you had to set our skillselect profile to just one state and also apply directly for sponsorship. At the moment it just looks like South Australia are only sponsoring aircraft engineers. Has anyone gone through this same process yet off applying for sponsorship from SA? Any info would be great and if there are any AMEs reading this perhaps a pointer in the right direction for job prospects down there?

P.s. Sorry for the long winded post lol

Lee

Hi Lee,

I am an AME too. I ran into the same trouble last year. Anyways, I believe that SA is sponsoring AMEs but with conditions. Apart from SA, only NT has AME avionics and AME mechanical on the State migration plan. I got my 489 from NT last november. I wish you all the best!!

Regards,

Citation560XL

Thanks Kelly being using seek religiously but doesn't seem to have much going on in SA.

Citation560XL - Im an AME mech. I did have a look at NT SS but to be honest it looked a bit complicated and I got a bit lost. From my understanding they're wanting an essay about why I believe NT is for me. Just at first glance it looks a bit easier getting SS from SA; it's just an online application I believe. But any extra info you think would help would be much appreciated.

Thanks Kelly being using seek religiously but doesn't seem to have much going on in SA.

Citation560XL - Im an AME mech. I did have a look at NT SS but to be honest it looked a bit complicated and I got a bit lost. From my understanding they're wanting an essay about why I believe NT is for me. Just at first glance it looks a bit easier getting SS from SA; it's just an online application I believe. But any extra info you think would help would be much appreciated.

Hi Lee,

To the contrary, I felt NT was simple. Ofcourse, the essay was a bit of a hassle but possible. I believe that the 323112 is on the "off list" category in SA, which means that you would need to satisfy some additional requirements. I think it would be best if you could speak to a MARA agent about this.

All the best

Citation560xl

Immigration SA is able to offer a limited number of nominations for occupations that appear on the Off-list section of the State Nominated Occupation List (SNOL). Planning levels apply to all Off-list occupations and availability is subject to change.

The off-list policy acknowledges the commitment made by qualified skilled graduates who reside and work in SA. Off-list nomination will be considered on a case by case basis.

Applicants must have a positive Skills Assessment in their nominated occupation and field of study in South Australia.

If any of the applicant’s studies were undertaken outside of South Australia, a minimum of 50% of their qualification must have been completed in South Australia.

South Australian international graduates currently residing in South Australia, interstate or offshore

South Australian international graduates must meet all state nomination requirements, as well as requirements 5.1 and 5.2.

Occupations listed as “Off-list” are available to:

5.1 South Australian (SA) international graduates who studied at a recognised South Australian institution. Applicants must have completed a CRICOS registered Higher Education qualification (Bachelor Degree or higher) with a minimum duration of one academic year (CRICOS registered for a minimum of 46 weeks). Higher Education Advanced Diplomas will be considered for applicants currently residing in South Australia.

Documents required: a copy of the academic transcript and a letter of completion from the institution.

5.2 Applicants must meet one of the following:

5.2.1 Currently working in a skilled occupation (minimum 30 hours per week) in South Australia. The skilled occupation must be ANZSCO level 1 to 4 and listed on the State Nominated Occupation List (SNOL) or Immigration SA’s current Offlist.

OR

5.2.2 Have met the general work experience requirement as per nomination criteria 7. If an applicant is claiming Australian work experience, 50% of this must be South Australian work experience.

Documents required for work experience: A letter from the employer confirming commencement date, job title, duties and tasks, salary and number of hours worked per week.

Consideration will be given to applicants (currently residing in South Australia) who are a PhD or Masters by Research SA graduates who don’t meet work experience requirement 5.2.1 or 5.2.2. To be considered, applicants must have an IELTS of 7.0 in each band score or 7.5 overall.

Hi citation

had a look at the NT SS again and your right isn't really that scary after all.

i have a question/concern about my commitment letter. The thing is I don't have clue about NT lol. If it was about QLD it would be a different story. When we first started this whole process the plan was to get to QLD as we have family there but because of my occupation being moved to the CSOL and QLD don't need my skills Ive had to look elsewhere.

my question is have you actually been to NT all was your commitment letter purely based on internet research? I think I might need to take a little time out to researching NT a bit better. And also what about job opportunities for AMEs? Most work I see being advertised online and seek have been for other states. Perhaps you could tell me a few names of airports around NT where I can center my research on?

again, any info would be much appreciated. Thanks

Lee

Hi citation

had a look at the NT SS again and your right isn't really that scary after all.

i have a question/concern about my commitment letter. The thing is I don't have clue about NT lol. If it was about QLD it would be a different story. When we first started this whole process the plan was to get to QLD as we have family there but because of my occupation being moved to the CSOL and QLD don't need my skills Ive had to look elsewhere.

my question is have you actually been to NT all was your commitment letter purely based on internet research? I think I might need to take a little time out to researching NT a bit better. And also what about job opportunities for AMEs? Most work I see being advertised online and seek have been for other states. Perhaps you could tell me a few names of airports around NT where I can center my research on?

again, any info would be much appreciated. Thanks

Lee

hi Lee,

i am sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I have been monitoring Seek.com for some time now and there are not many AME jobs posted. All i found were, jobs in planning or clerical sector in aviation and based in Darwin. Brisbane seems to be the hotspot for aviation now in AU. Regarding the commitment letter, I had based it mainly on internet research. I am sending you a PM with more info on that.

Cheers.

Citation560xl

Archived